eight

Jennie, who fell asleep with an empty ice cream tub in her hand, was shaken awake by a face that flooded her mind with nothing but happy pain.

"Hey, Jennie. Glad to see you doing so well," Kai joked, raising his eyebrows upon seeing the ice cream.

"You.. what are you doing here?"

Jennie was nothing short of full confusion. She hadn't spoken or had any sort of contact with Kai in more than a year, and now he suddenly appears and wakes her up?

"You're not safe here."

"What..?"

"Chaeyoung. She's going to come back here to kill you. I need to get you out."

"But she-"

"Trust me, Jennie. I still love you, and I always will."

Jennie blinked twice just to be sure that this was really happening, and was at a loss for words.

"How did-"

"Shh," Kai said, softly placing his finger on Jennie's lips. "Quietly come with me. I'll help you."

The two silently made it to the back of the hospital, taking the long way out just to be sure that they wouldn't get caught.

"Jennie!" Another familiar voice cried out.

Jennie turned around and directly looked at the source of the voice.

"Chaeyoung?"

"Shit," Kai said as she placed Jennie, whose legs were still too weak to be able to completely support her. "Stay here, I've got this."

"You asshole," Chaeyoung, with an almost empty bottle of wine in her left hand, said as she landed a hard punch into the man's stomach. Being caught off guard, he fell back, but quickly got up.

"I won't let you endanger her anymore."

"What are you talking about? Richards called you to kill her and then told me to come watch with a bucket of popcorn, as if I would ever let another person touch my target."

"She's not your target anymore, you failed," Kai laughed.

"Wait.. Richards?.. Is that true.. Kai?" Jennie spoke out.

"Yes, it's true. But don't worry, Jennie. I'll take care of this," Chaeyoung said, slurring the last word. She tried to punch Kai again, but was blocked. She then kicked him, attempting to trip him to the ground, but it was only half-successful.

"Are you.. drunk, Chaeyoung?" Kai asked, smelling the slight fume of red wine on the woman's breath as she held him in an arm-lock.

"So what if I am?" Chaeyoung said as she was elbowed into the wall.

Jennie, still in the position that Kai left her, sat there in an endless pool of thoughts.

Richards? Were they referring to Scott Richards? He never rubbed Jennie the right way.

Was Kai also an assassin? A hitman of some sort?

Didn't Chaeyoung said she would leave Jennie's life? Does Chaeyoung actually.. care? It was weird, seeing someone who wanted to creepily watch you after you die care so much about keeping you alive.

When Jennie's eyes focused on what was happening right in front of her, she saw Kai heaving Chaeyoung over his shoulder, and motioning for Jennie to follow.

"No."

"What? What do you mean by that, Jennie? I got her, I'll get you somewhere safe now."

"No," Jennie said distrustfully. "You do work for.. Scott Richards, right?"