The Power of the Wend

I gently lowered David to the ground. I touched his cold face and stifled a sob. Why did this have to happen? Why did everyone I love leave me? Why was I only left with the cold comfort of the Wend?

"He will die soon if nothing is done to help him."

I spun around and found Mary standing in the meadow. She looked at David with a detached expression, almost as if she was looking at a picture in a book.

"Mary!" I cried and run to her. Mary frowned with disapproval at my display of emotion.

"Help him. Please," I begged, grabbing her hands.

"Why do you care so much, little star?" Mary said, folding her arms around her chest.

"Because he's good. He doesn't deserve to die."

"Good people die every day. It is the way of all things. You must understand this," Mary remarked.

Tears ran down my cheeks. I looked at David's ashen face that only minutes before I had kissed. I couldn't let it end like this for him. I clenched my fists and turned to face Mary.

"Then, I'll take his place. I'll give my power to save him."

Mary's eyes widened in surprise. "Do you know what you are asking, child? A Keeper of the Wend does not give life, she takes it."

"I know it's possible, Mary. You told me yourself that energy flows both ways. If the Wend can take life then it must be able to give it." I said.

Mary scowled. "What you speak of hasn't been done in thousands of years."

"Then it is possible. I knew it. You have to show me, Mary"

Mary sighed and laid her hand on my shoulder. " If you mean to do this then you must be willing to risk your own life, little star."

I nodded, "I understand."

"No, you don't. It goes further than that. Even if you survive, you will be forbidden to enter the Summerland. Your name will never be spoken again. You will be an exile. You and I will never be able to talk again. Is this the path you seek?"

Her words struck me like a punch to the stomach. It seemed too much to ask. I couldn't imagine being without Mary, without her wise counsel, and losing the magic of the Summerland. My dreams would be barren and soulless without my nightly visits to that magical realm.

I looked at David. I thought of all the people we had saved just now. I thought of his mission, our mission – bring light to the people.

I turned back to Mary. "Do it."

Mary nodded. "Very well. Come here, little star."

 Mary stretched out her arms and I stepped into her embrace. "Prepare yourself. This will hurt a great deal."

No sooner had Mary spoken when a freezing blast of cold invaded every cell of my body. I gasped and shuddered violently. The cold was stealing the life out of me. Just when I thought I couldn't endure another second, Mary released me.

"Now, go to him, little star. Save him." Mary spoke quietly.

I stumbled to David and fell to my knees beside him. I looked back at Mary, "What do I do?"

"Lay your hands on him. The Wend will do the rest. Hurry, you don't have much time." Mary said.

I placed my hands on David's chest and stomach. Suddenly, something shifted in me. The cold vanished only to be replaced by a swirling vortex of heat. I felt power building up in my hands and they glowed with a luminescent force. It was warmth and heat. After all these years of learning to wield the Dark Power, I finally felt the power to give life rather than take it.