{Chapter 3}

{Chapter 3}

"Is he going to be alright?"

"Well, he's not dead, if that's what you're asking," Sakura's voice echoed through his eardrums, as he slowly opened his eyes.

Naruto was pleasantly greeted by Hinata's lovely pale eyes, as he struggled to sit up, realizing that he was back at the village's hospital. He had no recollection of how he'd gotten there, exactly. All he remembered was trying to surprise Hinata back at the park and getting himself knocked out.

"Uh... What happened to me?"

Sakura rolled her eyes. "You idiot! You got yourself knocked out cold. You've been out for over twelve hours now."

No wonder his entire body felt like as if he had run into a wall. He groaned, attempting to stretch himself.

Hinata gave him a worried look. "Oh, I'm so sorry to have hit you! You just scared me."

"Don't apologize, Hinata! This knucklehead should know better than to sneak up on a girl like that," Sakura retorted, smacking him in the head. That only worsened his pain.

"Ouch! Okay, okay. I'm sorry, alright?" Naruto said, raising his hands defensively before glancing at Hinata with a shy smile. "I just thought she would like being surprised, you know!"

"I really am sorry," Hinata repeated, looking to her fidgeting hands nervously. "You seem like a nice guy. I need to be more careful not to react so impulsively."

"Nice guy?" Naruto couldn't help but laugh. "Wow, that's a new one."

Sakura suddenly widened her eyes, clearing her throat awkwardly. "Uh... Hinata, would you give me a moment with him?"

"Of course," Hinata replied, bowing before leaving the room in a hurry.

Naruto raised an eyebrow at the pinkette, wondering what all the secrecy was about. "What's going on?"

"You know how Hinata got injured in the back of the head a couple of days ago?"

He nodded. "Yeah. What about it?"

"Well... Her mind appears to have been... affected by it."

"What do you mean?"

"Let's just say that her memory is fuzzy right now."

"Fuzzy?" He frowned. "So she's not going out on missions?"

"Not just that," Sakura sighed. "Listen, Naruto. I need you to pay close attention. Hinata's injury hit the part of her brain where memory storage takes place: things that she's been through, things that she's learned... All those things that make us who we are now. Because of the severity of her injury, that part of her brain has effectively shut off."

"So she doesn't remember that she's a ninja?"

"Naruto... She doesn't remember anything," Sakura replied, making him widen his eyes. "I know it's a lot to process..."

Hinata's memory was gone? Naruto suddenly felt a lot more worried. How much of it was truly gone? Would it ever come back?

He shook his head. Of course it'd come back. He was just being all paranoid.

"Naruto?" Sakura asked, probably concerned about his silence.

He shook his head and grinned. "That's alright. I'll just have to help her remember!"

"Naruto, that really isn't..."

After all, who better to help Hinata remember who she was than him? Not only had they'd known each other for their entire lives, but also, if he could save the world... Saving his girlfriend's memories should be a piece of cake, right?