IV: Venus

A year had passed since my breakup, and it was safe to say that I was doing exponentially better than before. I'd more or less forgotten about my scumbag of an ex-boyfriend and started to officially focus more on myself. During this time, I did a lot of thinking about what I really wanted -- it was about time that I stopped being scared of whatever negativity that might come from misjudged decisions. 

I became more open to the people around me and was willing to take the jump at new opportunities, dedicating my time to try out all sorts of new things that I hadn't even begun dreaming of doing before. It helped me expose myself to more activities that could eventually become hobbies, if I had enough fun doing them.

Speaking of new experiences, during the volleyball off-season, the staff and team of San Juan had gone ziplining in Brazil. It was an incredibly scenic and welcoming destination that served as an amazing break away from life in Argentina. Apparently Tooru also met an old friend from high school there. As he went on and on about the orange-haired volleyball player, I listened attentively while staring at a picture they took together. Oikawa regarded the photo with amusement as he sipped on a drink.

"I'm glad Shrimpy could finally grow a few inches," he snickered, "But he's still so unnervingly short -- it's such a mystery to me as to why he wanted to still pursue volleyball. Though I suppose sometimes passion beats physical limits." Curious about who he was, I decided to search on the web, browsing through sites until I'd found a match.

"Shoyo Hinata, right?" The brunette next to me nodded, peering at my phone screen. Quickly sifting through Shoyo's official statistics, my eyes widened bit by bit the further and further down I got. When I reached the end of the page, my jaw had dropped and my eyebrows were raised so much that they almost hit my hairline.

"He's 172 centimeters and can jump higher than 4 feet?" I gawked, "That's amazing!" Tooru laughed a bit at my reaction then nodded with a smug smile on his face. Taking note of this, I questioned whether or not he was showing off the fact that he came to know such an extraordinary player. Perhaps he was ignoring his own talent in the process, but it was endearing nevertheless to see him so haughty.

Though the experience occurred a couple months ago, the memories of the trip still remained fresh in my mind. Currently, I was on my way to a little nook Tooru and I had discovered near the beach. It was a modest cove with damp seaweed lining the floor and medium and large rocks littering the shore. We'd go there every so often to just enjoy the ocean breeze and bask in yellow sunshine, the rays of light warming our bodies and tanning our tender skin.

As I turned a corner at the beach, I found that Oikawa was already waiting for me, his figure sat atop a rock with his legs folded and held close to his chest. His body was highlighted by the sun, casting his features in a pronounced yet gentle manner. From far away I could see his skin glimmer and the outline of his cheekbone, marked features that I always appreciated.

"Tooru!" I called, breaking the moment of observation, "Over here!" He turned to me and waved as I ran up to the rock he was sitting on. Going up to him and hopping on the platform he was on, I shot him a grin and hauled my bag up to display the variety of goods I had brought along with me for the trip. Oikawa excitedly dug into the sandwiches I had made and made an effort to strike up a bit of conversation as payment.

We immersed ourselves in discussion for the majority of the evening, but when it was getting dark, the idle chitchat started to die down as I looked at the time. Oikawa noticed my unhappy expression and opted to cater to my feelings. 

"We can stay until the moon rises, if you'd like." He looked at me coyly, tilting his head just the slightest bit, wiping breadcrumbs off of his cheek. Brightening up a bit, I nodded eagerly as I set down my device and continued to ramble on about various topics.