II: Astonished

The next day Hoshiumi had to bus early to Sendai for a match, so I was left alone to faithfully work on a presentation for university for the morning, then catch his game live on the news. As much as I regretted not being able to be there for him in person, I settled on video calling him when the match was over. 

As I tended to my work, the constant thought of him still plagued my thoughts, but I was able to power through my assignment without much trouble. Perhaps it was my worry, or just the notion of missing him that fueled me to cut through my draft and piece together my presentation with all the polished parts. 

In the final moments before the match started, I typed furiously on my laptop, hurriedly proofreading and submitting my final draft, silently hoping that I wasn't too late for Hoshiumi's game. My eyes darted to the bottom right-hand corner of my screen, zeroing in on the time displayed there.

2:57.

Nearly doubling over on myself, I closed my computer and immediately grabbed the television remote, flipping through channels until I'd gotten to Sendai's volleyball station. Breathing a sigh of relief as I saw that the broadcast had just started, I shifted into a comfortable position to watch the beginnings of the legendary game. Cheering as the Schweiden Adlers came onto the court, I pumped my fists in the air, erratically waving them as the team filed out from a hallway on the side of the arena. I clapped happily as I watched Hoshiumi run out, both of his arms raised in what seemed like triumph. Laughing at his expression, I sunk into the couch and smiled adoringly at his image on the television.

I don't think I would ever get tired of looking at that face. 

__

My cheeks were completely flushed by the time halftime was called, despite the fact that only an hour had elapsed since the start of the match. Getting up from my spot on the couch to grab a drink of water, I contemplated my observations of both the game and the players.

Watching their match was an astounding way to spent my time. I hadn't seen most of them since high school, the years that seemed like only days ago, so in looking at them back on the court with such sporadic improvement was shocking. The way that Hinata received to the seemingly flawless execution of Bokuto's spikes was a wonder in itself. 

Besides the foreign players, I was sure that I had encountered every single person on that court back at Nationals. They all possessed an incredible amount of skill and coordination for volleyball players their age, with the execution of their attacks and receives, as well as their own, individual techniques -- it was astounding.

But even that was nothing compared to the monsters they'd become now. My eyes would follow the ball across the TV screen, then dart back to the opposite side as one of the Jackals smashed it into the hands of a player on the Adlers. It was a vicious game, one that would send chills down my spine for every close call or every ridiculous save. 

And no matter how shocking it may have been to me, within one or two hits, the players would regain full control of the ball, then direct it to the best position they could think of in a split-second. The thought of how fast their minds worked was invigorating. 

I found myself high on a small buzz of adrenaline as I sat back down on the couch to resume watching the livestream. 

The rest of the match maintained a high level of urgency and tension as the players restlessly fought to obtain the title of the League Division 1 champions. I relished every moment of it, knowing that I might not experience anything as exciting as this matchup in the future. Seeing my friends and acquaintances battle each other head-to-head was thrilling, and observing the silent rivalry between the two ex-teammates of Karasuno was also something I found particularly entertaining. 

I remember Hoshiumi being really annoyed at them when Karasuno got to show off at Nationals -- their synergy and teamwork made them a nearly unstoppable force, and something seriously hard to get through when vying for the coveted prize of first place in an extremely competitive high school setting. 

My thoughts were interrupted by the sudden sound of a whistle being blown, signaling the end of the second-to-last match. Attentively watching the glowing screen in front of me, I spotted Hoshiumi, who was surprisingly uninhibited by all the effort he'd blown out thus far. Silently hoping that he'd come through in the last game, I clasped my hands together and prayed that the Adlers would be able to defend their title.

All I could do was wait.

__

Surprisingly, I didn't feel all that disappointed when the Jackals were called as the winners of the " Great Monster War." I smiled as I watched the team clad in black uniforms celebrate their victory, jumping around while trying to catch their breaths. Of course, the Adlers were able to shake off the loss in knowing that this game had been an amazing opportunity to reconnect with old friends and thrive in the newly formed, though not entirely serious, rivalries. 

The thought was fleeting, however, as I quickly remembered that I had to FaceTime Hoshiumi after he exited the court. Fumbling for my phone, I felt all over the couch, trying to see if I had either sat on it, or it got lost in between the cushions somewhere. Upon finding it, I opened it and immediately started to call my boyfriend, waiting for him to pick up the other line.

When his face popped up on my screen, I smiled ecstatically at the image of him on my device.

"Korai, hey!" I spoke, happily waving at him, "How was the match?" The white-haired male let out a long breath, his expression screaming disappointment, but his eyes sparkling with satisfaction.

"It was good," he replied, rubbing his neck to release some of the tension building there, "But I really wanted to defend our title." I gave a small, sentimental pout as he unsubtly gazed at me for some words of affirmation. Knowing that a simplistic response would get him riled up, I tried to remain calm while comforting him.

"Well I think you did well. You played amazingly. You tried your best." Hoshiumi looked incredulous upon hearing my response, so much so that I had to turn away in order to stifle a snicker. He didn't seem to notice, being caught up in my lack of enthusiasm and all. 

"Be a little more surprised!" he exclaimed, nearly whining, "I was so good out there!" Bursting into laughter, I grinned at his flustered state, finding it cute that his pride was something that never seemed to die. 

"Korai!" I shouted, shaking my phone for more emphasis, "You did so well out there! You're so amazing! You'll definitely beat them next year! I love you! So much!" He laughed at my elevated response, his bright grin framing his features perfectly, displaying a sense of content and satisfaction throughout his whole face.

"Thanks for that, (Y/N)." I smiled fondly at him, finding peace in the fact that he was happy.

"Anytime. Do you know when you'll get back?" Hoshiumi thought for a moment.

"Probably in about a day's time? The latest will definitely be in a couple days, given the schedule." I understood, but couldn't help but feel dismayed. My lover seemed to notice, as his brows furrowed and his features melted into those that were sympathetic.

"I really wish you were here right now, Korai. I miss you a lot." He smiled at his phone screen, almost as if he were trying to get lost in the sight of me on the other line as I stared at his shining, green eyes in complete rapture, comforted by the familiar sight.

"I'll be there soon. Don't worry." Taking a deep breath in, I gave him a half-grin and a thumbs up before exchanging the final words of the evening.

"See you soon, then." Korai hummed, looking as if he wanted the call to last forever, though he knew that it couldn't. 

"I love you," he said. When met by his words, I smiled, genuinely, this time. 

"Love you too."