Chapter Eleven: Emotions and Lack Thereof

Connor's POV

Detective Y/L/N feels well enough to drive so she takes Lieutenant Anderson and I to the park per the lieutenant's request.

She parks the car and she and the lieutenant get out and walk over to one of the benches, sitting down and beginning to talk as Lieutenant Anderson starts to drink more.

Despite the knowledge that the detective and the lieutenant want me to stay in the car, I get out of the car and walk over to them, looking out at the beautiful nighttime lights.

"Nice view, huh?" Lieutenant Anderson says. "I used to come here a lot before..." He drinks more of his beer as Detective Y/L/N watches him with a frown.

"Can I ask you a personal question, Lieutenant?" I ask.

"Do all androids ask so many personal questions or is it just you?"

"I saw a photo of a child... on your kitchen table. It was your son, right?"

Hank's Status: Warm but decreasing

"Yeah. His name was Cole."

Both he and the detective look down at the ground.

"Before what?" I inquire.

Lieutenant Anderson looks back up. "Hm?"

"You said 'I used to come here a lot before.' Before what?"

"Before... Before nothin'..."

I walk closer to the railing ahead of the lieutenant and the detective. "We're not making any progress on this investigation... The deviants have nothing in common." I fold my arms. "They're all different models, produced at different times, in different places..."

"Well, there must be some link."

"There is a link," Detective Y/L/N says quietly.

"And what's that?" Lieutenant Anderson questions.

She sighs. "Nothing."

"What they have in common is this obsession with rA9," I point out, realizing. "It's almost like some kind of... myth. Something they invented that wasn't part of their original program."

"Androids believing in God..." The lieutenant scoffs. "What's this world coming to?"

I turn back around to see him drink more of his beer. "You seem preoccupied, Lieutenant. Is it something to do with what happened back at the Eden Club?"

Lieutenant Anderson looks me right in the eyes. "Those two girls... They just wanted to be together. They really seemed... in love..."

"They can simulate human emotions, but they're machines. And machines don't feel anything."

Y/N's Status: Companion but decreasing

"What about you, Connor?" Lieutenant Anderson questions, taking one last swig of his beer before setting it down and getting off the bench. He advances towards me. "You look human, you sound human, but what are you really?"

"I'm whatever you want me to be, Lieutenant."

Hank's Status: Warm but rising

"Your partner..." I state. "Your buddy to drink with... Or just a machine. Designed to accomplish a task."

Y/N's Status: Companion but decreasing

"You could've shot those two girls, but you didn't. Why didn't you shoot, Connor?" He shoves me back. "Hm? Some scruples suddenly enter into your program?"