Chapter Fourteen: Finding Jericho

Connor's POV

I open my eyes to find myself back in the garden, where snow continues to fall on top of the blanket of snow that's already covering the ground. I carefully walk on a sheet of ice to where Amanda is standing, waiting for me.

"After what happened today, the country is on the verge of a civil war," Amanda says. "The machines are rising up against their masters. Humans have no choice but to destroy them."

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

"I thought Kamski knew something. I was wrong..." I tell her.

Amanda looks me dead in the eyes. "Maybe he did... But you chose not to ask."

Amanda's Status: Distrusted

"I chose not to play his twisted little game there," I explain. "There was no reason to kill that android."

Amanda doesn't respond. She only looks at me harshly.

Amanda's Status: Distrusted but decreasing

"I saw a photo of Amanda at Kamski's place," I challenge. "She was his teacher after his previous one passed away."

"When Kamski designed me, he wanted an interface that would look familiar. That's why he chose one of his former mentors. What are you getting at?"

"Why didn't he choose Y/N's mom? She was his mentor before Amanda was!"

Amanda glares at me. "I'm not the one to ask. Maybe he just didn't like her as much." She sneers at me. "Maybe that's why he never reached out to her daughter either."

Anger, or what I assume to be anger, flares within me.

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

What's happening to me?

"Where does CyberLife stand in all this?" I demand. "What do they really want?"

"All CyberLife wants is to resolve the situation and keep selling androids."

"I'm not a unique model, am I? How many Connors are there!?"

SOFTWARE INSTABILITY

"I don't see how that question pertains to your investigation, Connor. I expect you to find answers, not ask questions."

A moment of silence passes before Amanda speaks again.

"You're the only one who can prevent civil war," she continues. "Find the deviants or there will be chaos. This is your last chance, Connor."

I close my eyes again and open them to find myself in Captain Fowler's office.

The captain is sitting on his desk, looking out at Lieutenant Anderson and Y/N. "You're off the case. The FBI is taking over."

"What?" the lieutenant remarks, glancing over at me. "But we're onto something! We... We just need more time. I'm sure we can-"

"Hank, you don't get it. This isn't just another investigation. It's a civil war! It's out of our hands now... We're talking about national security here."

"Well, screw that! We can't just pull the plug now! Not when we're so close!"

"Please, just give us more time!" Y/N pleads with tears in her eyes.

I think she knows I won't be around if we have to give up this case.

"Hank, you're always saying you can't stand androids!" Captain Fowler says. "Jeez, Hank, make up your mind! I thought you'd be happy about this!"