Love, Mark

I went home and lay on the bed

I went home and lay on the bed. I had left Mark so many missed calls and messages but he wasn't answering. I bit my nails and I could hear Jaehyun on the phone. Glancing at the clock, I saw that it was already 8 pm. He would already be in the airport, would he? I kept my eyes on my screen. He would be back, wouldn't he? He would be back, and all I had to do was wait and talk to him as soon as possible.

Clang.

I jumped, seeing that it was a rock. The rock had flown in through my window and landed on the floor. I stood up and walked over to the window to see Haechan's sports car parked in my driveway. He stood there with his biker jacket and his sober companion beside him. He was holding something that looked like balloons.

"Hey!" Haechan yelled at me. His voice was unusually high and I frowned.

"Why do you sound like that?" I asked and Haechan pointed at the balloons.

"I can't drink or get high so I took in the helium!" he sounded like a minion. "Anyway, here—Read them as fast as possible."

"What—"

"Do it and let's leave!"

The balloons flew up to my window and I grabbed it, confused as to why it was given to me. Haechan stood down there with Renjun on my lawn, who was keeping a close eye on my friend when I grabbed the box that came with the balloons. Opening up the box, I saw a bunch of crumpled letters. They were crumpled into little balls and I sat down on my bedroom floor, slowly opening them up when I began to read.

The lines were short, but it was obvious it was Mark's handwriting. I squinted under the dim light of the lamp when I read the first letter.

You looked very beautiful today.

Love, Mark

I blinked. Okay? Were these just Mark's recounts of memories?

His handwriting was scrawled through the page and I found myself opening the rest of the papers and smoothing them out with my hands.

I know you're my best friend.

But I keep hoping that one day you'll see me as something more.

Love, Mark.

My heart dropped and my jaw hung open. I hastily opened the other letters and there were countless ones that made my friendship with Mark make so much sense.

I want you to know how hard it was to see you with someone else.

Love, Mark.

I tried to go on a date today, but all I thought of was you.

Love, Mark.

I can't imagine leaving like this. But I don't want my heart to break over the one person I do not want to lose.