Chapter Seventeen

Being the person that I am .. I aint gone lie.. I decided to answer that damn phone. I creeped over to Marcus and pulled his phone out of his coat pocket. Marcus' code was obvious.. He loved his mother so much that I knew it had to be her birthday. I was right. I wouldve been ass out of luck if it was a damn pattern.

I scrolled through the phone looking at his unanswered messages.

Nick: Dont forget to bring those files to the office tommorrow.. This clientele could mean mucho dinero! 8:12pm
Paula: I guess you put an ole woman down huh, You need to call me sometime. I love you son and tell Lauren I said Hi. 8:30pm
Sharen: Why did you leave so early? I need to feel your touch.. 8:35
Sharen: Marcus call me! 8:40pm
Sharen: Are you ignoring me? 8:42pm
Jillian: The 9:00am meeting for tommorow morning has been canceled. 8:49pm

I turned the phone off and put it back in his pocket. I had seen enough. I guess the saying If You Go Looking For Trouble, You Will find it .. is true. I went to the kitchen and poured myself a shot of Jack Daniels.

"Now what the hell should I do with this information." I though to myself. Should I let him know that I know or should I keep it to myself? I took another shot as I realized I didnt know the answer to either question. I dropped my head into my hands for a while but lifted it up when I heard Marcus' yawing and moving around in the living room.

"Lauren! You here?"

I took a swig of the alcohol from the bottle as I heard Marcus call my name.

"Lauren. "

He called as he walked toward the kitchen.

"You didnt hear me calling you?"

"Nope." I lied.

"Whats up with the drinking?" he asked as he opened the fridge and grabed a water.

I humped my shoulders as I swirled the bottle around on the table.

"Where you been woman, I been here since seven waiting on you.. "

"Over Stacy's. " I said in a nonchalant tone.

"Um, well Im hungry.. you?"

"I could eat."

"I know you aint drinking that shit on an empty stomach Lauren. You gone be on ya ass tonight if you keep going, watch and see. Now come on lets go."

Marcus and I left to go eat dinner and I was trying my best to act normal.. to act like I didnt know or do shit.

We got back home and I couldnt help but feel the urge to ask about the text. We walked in the house and headed to the room.

"So how was your day?" I asked beating around the bush.

"You know thats the first time you done asked me that since you found out about Sharen..but it was fine.. just the same ole thing."

"So when was the last time you seen her?" I asked with my arms folded. "I mean you seem so comfortable saying her name in our house."

He paused.

"I thought the night would go a lot smoother than this Lauren."

"Its a simple question Marcus. If she is going to have your baby then there is no need for us to act like she dont exist."

"I havent seen her in awhile woman, now can we just go to bed."

"I guess." I said as I crawled into bed.

As I layed there looking at the cealing, I couldnt help but think about how Marcus just lied in my face. Clearly he seen her earlier today, I mean why else would she text him. I found myself getting a slight headache from the thought of of it all but I tried my best to ignore it. Maybe its the alcohol mixed with the stress I thought..

I dozed off, waking up in the middle of the night to run to the bathroom.