Chapter 28: Separation

May 3rd, 2032
Monday, 3:41pm - Cabello-Jauregui mansion, Miami Beach, FL

"I'm not used to being shut out like this. And I'm not okay with her not talking things through with me or at least giving me the courtesy of notifying me that she won't fucking show up to our therapy session. There's no way I'm just being paranoid, she wants a divorce. I can feel it," Lauren ranted from behind her desk in her home office.

Winston took a seat across from Lauren and crossed his leg over the other, folding his hands over his lap. He gave it some thought before he was able to advise Lauren through this turbulent time. "So you saw the divorce lawyer card in her suitcase. If she's giving up on communication and therapy—and missing therapy is a huge red flag especially for a woman like your wife—then you best prepare to be served at any moment. She's ready for it but she anticipates that you won't be nor will agree to it, so she'll have a lawyer ready."

"Everything is just different. It's so funny how shit could just change overnight and I'm supposed to take it and deal with it. This came out of nowhere, it's hard to make sense of it because we were fine. I thought we were safe from going down that route. I thought she was just going through a hard time just like I was, like Chris said. I never thought I'd be in this fucking position, Winston. Not with her," Lauren dropped down on her swivel chair, taking a deep breath as her eyes wandered in an anxious manner. "This isn't real. This doesn't feel real, I can't accept this reality."

"But it is real, I'm afraid. Perhaps it was at the back of her mind for quite some time but only now did she have some sort of push to make it happen? It could be the events that took place in Vegas, it could be the time she spent there alone where she realised how much she enjoys herself without you in the picture, it could be anything. But you suspected this was on its way. And you knew she wasn't as happy like before despite your attempts to change that. Correct?"

Lauren nodded frantically then winced and screwed her teary eyes shut, hiding her face in the palms of her hands. Winston being the wise, loving father figure to Lauren, leaned forward and offered her a box of tissues as well as his support and council.

"Divorces are never easy. Marital problems are never easy. But they don't have to be too difficult. I'm here for you every step of the way, Mrs. Jauregui. If you wish to contact and hire an attorney, then I'll provide you with the best there is and we'll get you a good deal just in case. Or you can separate for a bit first to see how things go. Now the state of Florida doesn't offer legal separation as a formal legal process, you two can live separate and apart from each other without the need for a court order. If you two are on the same page with everything, go for a no-fault, uncontested divorce."

"That's what I'm thinking," Lauren sniffled as she wiped her cheeks and eyes. "I want to talk to her first and have my questions answered, try to get her to reconsider but I don't think I can change her mind about this. I just don't want it to be ugly and hurt the kids too bad. I guess I'll leave. This is her house, I bought it for her. Whatever money she wants, she can have it. I don't care. But she doesn't get full custody of our kids, that has to be shared."

"Understood. I doubt she'd reject that. Would you like me to search for apartments nearby today? A house?"

"I don't want a house. I'm still foolishly holding on to hope that this is just a bump on the road and we won't go through with this. But do search for an apartment I can rent, three bedrooms, nothing too expensive but definitely nothing small."

"Done. Is there anything else you need me to do? Lauren...?"

Lauren's knee bounced rapidly beneath the desk as she fought hard to reduce the flow of her tears. She slowly shook her head, hiding her reddening face again. Her whole body shivered and trembled as bundles of intrusive/dark thoughts paraded around her head, growing louder by the second. Lauren sprung from her chair and paced back and forth with a hand on her hip and the other working on wiping her face. She breathed in and out as Winston watched and waited for an answer.