.eighteen

a/n: sorry i don't have an update schedule
i have several chapters prewritten (9k+ words) but i don't want to publish them all at once and then have nothing left for you guys

so for now i hope you enjoy new chapters even though they're released irregularly :)

<:

Minho woke up to a shoe hitting him in the chest, followed by the second shoe hitting his stomach. He sat up and groaned.

"Why did you do that?"

Jeongyeon shrugged. "Bought you shoes, had to wake you up. I was being efficient." She stepped closer to smooth Minho's messy hair. "I know moving out here hasn't been easy for you," she said, sitting on the edge of his bed. "So I'm glad to see you're adjusting. And it's a huge relief to see how much time you've been spending with Jisung – you both need a good friend."

"Jisung has a ton of friends," Minho mumbled.

"He needs a good friend. Someone like you," his aunt said. "Oh, I almost forgot! The last Saturday of every month, the church has a dance. Jisung came by this morning and asked you to go with him, and I said yes. I picked your shoes, and Nayeon will help with your outfit." She patted her nephew's head and walked out to let him wake up a bit.

It took probably half an hour for Minho to be 80% awake, and by the time he actually got out of bed it was already 9:30. He wandered downstairs and found his aunts sitting at the kitchen table, drinking coffee and holding hands as they gazed out the window together. Minho smiled. He admired his aunts, and he was very grateful to both of them. Catching them in a peaceful moment was good for Minho – he was reminded that his aunts had chosen to take him in, that he hadn't been a burden to them.

"Do either of you want more coffee? I can put another pot on," Minho offered, breaking the silence. Nayeon turned over her shoulder and smiled, shaking her head.

"No thank you, sweetheart," she said, "I don't need any more coffee. Is there anything you need, Minho? Are you hungry?"

Minho sat down next to his aunt and sighed. "Thank you, but I'm alright. I appreciate the offer, though. You're always so nice to me."

Jeongyeon chuckled. "Isn't she the sweetest?" She squeezed her wife's cheeks between her hands and cooed. "Well, if no one wants breakfast or more coffee, I'll wash up and you two can go get Minho ready for the dance."

Nayeon squealed, clapping her hands excitedly. "You're going to look so good! You're gonna outshine all these country bumpkins, aren't you, city boy?"

"Hey," Jeongyeon joked, "We're the country bumpkins, pumpkin. Don't go and let our little city boy think he doesn't belong with us." She smiled warmly as she washed dishes.

Minho followed Nayeon up the stairs and thought about what Jeongyeon had said.

She said Minho belonged.