.twenty-four

Jisung was no good at keeping secrets– at least, most of the time.

He was too impulsive. He didn't think before he spoke more often than he did think, and even when he did think he tended to blurt things out unexpectedly.

This was good and bad. Good because people usually knew exactly what Jisung thought of them. Bad because as soon as Minho walked into his room, Jisung stated, "Your mom sounds like she sucks, bro."

"Oh..." Minho sat down next to his friend. "You heard my conversation, then?"

Jisung nodded. "Not on purpose," he clarified, "But yeah, I heard what you said." Minho sighed, and Jisung placed a hand on his shoulder. "If you want to talk, I'm here to listen."

"Why should I tell you? It's not important."

Jisung propped himself up on his elbows and batted his eyes, trying to be cute. "Because you're my best friend and you love me?" He smiled brightly when Minho rolled his eyes with a small grin across his lips.

Minho readjusted so he was lying next to Jisung, and he took a deep breath. "A secret for a secret," he said, "I tell you something, and you have to tell me something in return." Jisung nodded, so Minho began. "My parents are finally getting divorced. It's a huge mess for some reason. Like, you hate each other and you've fought every day for as long as I can remember. Why does it have to be so complicated? Seriously, just leave."

"They both want full custody?"

The older boy nodded. "Yeah, but they don't want to have me around. They both just want to feel like they're taking something from each other. Like they're winning."

Jisung exhaled shakily. "I don't know my parents," he confessed. "Like, I've seen photos but I don't remember them. My sister and I lived with our grandma for most of my life– and it was good right up until the end when she lost her mind before she died."

Minho nodded solemnly. "What happened to her? Why'd she lose her mind?"

"Dementia. She was already a little unstable, not quite crazy, though. But once it hit she became a completely different person. Super paranoid. She forgot who Sooyoung and I were, and she pulled a shotgun on me once," Jisung whispered, "I'm lucky she forgot to load it. But she trashed the house and killed our animals before she died. She stopped eating, started hallucinating, and spiralled from there. We still don't have complete walls in any room in the house because she was convinced she had lost something because the 'rats in the walls' had stolen it from her and hidden it in the walls, so she broke down a ton of drywall. That's why we never hang out at my place."