.thirty

"Hey, Minho, do you want to go into town with us?" Chan asked. He pulled up in his truck with Seungmin riding shotgun and shouted from the window.

Minho was thrilled. "Yeah," he replied, "But Jisung's not here yet."

Seungmin and Chan made eye contact for a brief moment before turning back to Minho, who had already spun around to run and find Jisung.

Fortunately, Jisung hadn't been far. He was at Nayeon and Jeongyeon's house, helping them tend to the fruit trees in the yard. Minho shouted for him, waving his arms.

"Grab your stuff!" He yelled. "And come meet us on the street! I'll wait for you!" He walked toward the street rather slowly, waiting for Jisung to catch up with him. He knew Jisung ran fast, so he knew he wouldn't take long.

After only a minute or so, Minho nearly fell over as Jisung sprinted up and leapt onto Minho's back, shouting, "Carry me!" When Minho tried to shake him off, Jisung placed his chin on Minho's shoulder and whined, "But I ran all the way here for you. I'm tired."

Minho complied, knowing Jisung was half-right and half-annoying. He carried Jisung the rest of the way to the car and as he lifted him to put him in the truck bed, Chan stopped him.

"I cleared out the backseat," he said, "Because technically it's not legal for you to be in the back. The backseat has seatbelts. Around here, nobody cares, but townies might call the police, and I don't want to deal with that."

Jisung and Minho both nodded as Seungmin got out of the truck and leaned his seat forward so they could climb behind it into the cramped backseat. Jisung sat behind Chan and Minho behind Seungmin.

And then they were off. Chan rolled down the windows and put on the radio, tapping the beat of every song on his steering wheel. His right hand, Minho assumed, was on the gearshift. Jisung could actually see Chan's hand and not just his arm, so he knew Chan had a hand gently resting on Seungmin's thigh.

He decided not to mention it.

He couldn't be sure that meant anything, and he'd rather not ruin the trip for Minho. It was a half hour drive into town, and even then there wasn't much there. An Albertsons, a Walmart, a McDonalds, a few gas stations, a mechanic, and a doctor/dentist/orthodontist hybrid facility all run by one guy. The town wasn't all that interesting, but this was a fun trip for these kids regardless.

No one talked much during the drive except to point things out to Minho.

When they arrived, they decided to go to Walmart and get snacks so they could have a movie night with some of the other guys.

Minho had never known Walmart could be so much fun. He and Jisung chased each other around, hiding behind rolls of toilet paper and boxes of various foods. Minho didn't remember the last time he'd laughed like this, if there was a last time at all, but he was grateful for this new unbridled joy.

It was Minho's turn to hide, and he had only 30 seconds to do so. He turned the corner to the freezer section at the very back of the store and froze when he saw something at the far end of the aisle.

He saw Seungmin leaned casually against one of the freezers. And he saw Chan leaning into Seungmin, holding his hip. And then he felt numb. They were kissing.