The Start

(A/N: This whole story is in Ren's point of view, except for some parts)

As I watch Motoyasu and Naofumi fighting, I sense a big amount of Mana coming from Malty.

"Itsuki, stay aware of Malty. Mana is emanating from her." I whisper to my friend, the Bow Hero, Itsuki Kawasumi.

The blonde nods and we keep watching Naofumi destroying Motoyasu.

Some time after that, we see a gust of wind, and Malty openly doing a wind spell.

Then, I jump into the arena.

"This match should be ended for outside interference. The gust of wind is coming from Her Highness, Malty." I say to the king.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING, REN?" Asks Motoyasu, outraged.

"Only the fair things. Outside interference that helps you would be considered as cheating. This is against the honor of a hero." I reply to him, calmly.

Naofumi only watches me, amazed.

"WHERE IS YOUR EVIDENCE THAT MALTY IS CHEATING?" The king asks/shouts.

"Basically, the mana of Her Highness is 70/100. Wind spells like this usually take 30 of mana on Brave Star Online. Do the maths."

The whole crowd is silent. The king doesn't want to fight against true evidence.

"Uhm, this fight is ended. Naofumi Iwatani and Motoyasu Kitamura are tied, equal. Everything stays like it is." Says the King, completely overwhelmed by the Sword Hero's actions.

"THIS IS NOT FAIR! I WAS ABSOLUTELY WINNING!" Motoyasu screams, making me nearly deaf.

"No, the fight was quite equal. Cheating is not allowed. You are lucky that you weren't disqualified." I reply to him, matter-of-factly.

Naofumi doesn't say anything and leaves with Raphtalia.

Huh, how ungrateful.

Naofumi's POV

Ren has actually done something decent for once in his life. Good to know, to be honest. I didn't think that he would note something so minuscule.

But I still don't trust him. I think he can be planning to gain my confidence and backstab me. I will not let this happen.

Maybe I'd trust him if I wasn't so skeptical of the other heroes, but you can't really blame me for that. Itsuki is an arrogant prick, Motoyasu doesn't know how to think, so it's obvious that I don't have a good opinion about Ren.

Malty's POV

I'll have to adapt from now and try to mix the Sword Hero back into my hand. I don't like that he's making this more difficult for me...

~END

A/N: Short chapter, I know, but it's just the introduction. Many things will happen from now on.