Stupid Spear

Naofumi's POV

I am here on the merchant guild after beating up the bandits, and there are many rumours about the heroes.

They say that Ren is slaying a lot of monsters on the south and was able to pet a blue dragon. Huh, that's pretty unexpected.

They also said that Motoyasu made a legendary crop that ended famine in a village. Something is off about this...

Well, following a tip from Hickwaal, me and my party went towards the Lerno Village to sell some herbicide demanded by them.

But, we see something horrible. A lot of fruit-bearing vines. They are really aggressive.

"Ah, Shield He-"

The village hero is cut off by the sounds of a Dragon. A silhouette appears and it is Ren, looking laid back in his pet dragon.

"Good job, Krastyel. Well, what happened here?" Asked the Sword Hero after landing on the ground.

Narrator's POV

The village chief explains that Motoyasu attempted to solve the town's famine by planting a Bio Plant Seed he got from some alchemist's lair.

Naofumi recollects the seeds to be the same ones as those sealed away in the lair at Southwest, which he visited recently.

Even though the Bio Plant produced a large number of edible plants, they rapidly mutated into monsters after Motoyasu was gone, some have even turned parasitic and are infesting the townspeople. 

Some adventurers tried to uproot the plant but they are missing in action.

"Naofumi-san, we need to save the adventurers." Says Ren, straightforwardly.

Naofumi shakes his head stubbornly and points to Filo. Filo goes to the save.

Ren nods and starts curing the villagers. He studied a lot about the medicine at this world, since he spends a lot of time reading, so in his spare time he started training to be at least an average healer.

"This is the first time I will put this knowledge about medicine to good use." Says the Sword Hero.

He cures the townspeople one by one with a tiring healing job.

After he was finished, he sighed.

"That was difficult." Says the Sword Hero, relieved that he was able to do it.

After Ren has cured the villagers, they request that he and Naofumi finish what the adventurers started: rip the Bio Plant out at the root. 

Raphtalia and Filo recklessly attack the Bio Plants but they end up tripping one another up, putting Raphtalia in an embarrassing position to which Filo smirks, much to Raphtalia's annoyance.

"Naofumi, tank the plant. I will pour the herbicide into the eyeball-shaped core of the plant." Said Ren.

Naofumi nodded and enhanced his shield, tanking the plant. Ren poured the herbicide and killed the plant.

"It can happen all over again, though. Let's collect the seeds." Said Naofumi.

Ren nodded and started to work, but Raphtalia and Filo started arguing.

Unlocking various Shields/Swords by feeding the seeds and the dead plants to Legendary weapons, Naofumi and Ren acquired the ability to analyze and modify the plants. 

The next day, after spending the night unsealing the powers of his new Shields, Naofumi makes simple but important changes to the plants, removing their ability to mutate, curbing their breeding rate, while increasing their growth and productivity rates.

Ren was just too tired to do something. The poor guy just cured an entire village.

Well, after this quest, Naofumi and Ren became more powerful. Also, Filo can speak now. Last but not least, the heroes became more famous.

END OF CHAPTER