Are You Single?

After S10
________________________________

Ian had been drinking at the Alibi for over three hours. He had gotten some bad news from work: something about a misplaced file. He and Mickey had been transferred to Larry Seaver's after their PO got shoved out a window. He had pulled some strings and allowed Ian to work in the hospital as a paid intern. It was minimum wage, but being back where he knew he belonged was like a breath of fresh air.

Until the file got lost. It had records of Ian's previous work as an EMT and without it he wasn't qualified to work in the hospital, so he was forced to take a hiatus.

Ian desperately didn't want a bipolar swing because of it, and figured drinking would help him forget for the night.

"Dude, what number is that?" Kev asked as he made he came back with another keg of beer.

"I dunno," Ian slurred, slumping against the bar. "Can I ha- ha- another?"

Kev raised an eyebrow and picked up the glass. "V, you know Ian's number?"

"Eight I think," his wife called out from the back where she was taking inventory. "Why, is he hammered? He's been here for three hours, he shouldn't be that drunk." She turned into the bar to get a better grasp on Ian's state. Seeing him slumped onto the table wasn't a good sign. "Give him water."

"Wouldn't he be able to tell?"

"If he can, it means he's not too drunk. Just experiment. I do it all the time with the regulars."

Kev shook his head. "You are a scary woman."

"Please, you ain't seen nothing."

After filling up the empty glass with water, Kev handed it back to the very drunk Ian. "Here ya go, man."

Ian raised it in toast and chugged the whole thing, slamming it down on the wood when it was gone. "Woo!" He yelped, making Tommy and Kermit who were sitting on the other end of the bar jump. "That was good! What is this?"

V chewed her lip before answering. "It's agua."

"Ah- gwa," Ian sounded out slowly. "Ah-gwa."

"There you go. Want another?"

Ian nodded enthusiastically handing her his glass.

He chugged the next one the same way.

V leaned over to Kev. "Call Mick."

Her husband disappeared around the corner just as Ian got up from his seat. "I wan- dance."

"Dance? There's no music," Tommy pointed out.

"Well, start some music!"

V rolled her eyes and got her Spotify playlist out on her phone. "What genre?"

"I us'd be a go-go dancer..." Ian thought hard, like this was the toughest decision he had ever had to make. "Played lotsa hip hip."

"Hip hop?"

"That's whatta said. Hip hip."

"Hip hip it is." V clicked on her phone and a song started playing on the speakers around the room.

"Hip hip!" Ian pulled himself up into the bar.

"Hurray," Kermit punched the air sarcastically as Ian got to gyrating against the air.

"Kids got some moves," Kev commented as he returned. "Mickey's on his way."

V nodded, entranced by Ian's dancing. She wasn't sure if she should cheer, laugh, or groan. She had known Ian almost his entire life and the few occasions she got to see him drunk were always an exciting time. Drunk Ian was adventurous. He knew no limits. If you didn't keep an eye on him he might disappear, off to the next rambunctious activity.