Something I've Never Told You

TW: homophobia

Ian walked slowly into the Alibi Room. He already had a $20 bill out as he asked Kev for a bottle of vodka.

Kev gave him a small smile as he pushed the money back to him. "On the house man. He's upstairs. Probably taking it all in."

Ian nodded gratefully and moved to the staircase, avoiding any conversation that might follow him from Tommy or Kermit.

Once in the barren apartment that was above the bar, used mainly for employee breaks and when people needed alone time, Ian sat himself and his liquor down at the lonesome couch and coffee table that rested against the wall shared by the bedroom. Seeing the door was closed, Ian figured his husband was inside on the bed.

He knew the walls were thin; he'd been up here a few times when the Rub'nTug was in business and despite the bedroom being used by girls who needed to clean themselves up, you could easily hear the grunts,groans and general sex noises outside. With this in mind, he didn't feel weird about talking aloud through the wall.

"You're 26, and your dad just got a life sentence in a high-security prison."

Ian waited for a response. When he got silence, he continued.

"A year ago, when you were 25, your dad burnt down our wedding venue and threatened to kill you."

Ian flicked open the cap on the vodka and took a swig, cherishing the burn that flowed down his throat.

"When you were 20, your dad beat you into next than nothing after you came out to him. When you were 19, your dad hired a hooker to fuck you when he caught us together. When you were 18, you were so scared of my dad telling yours that he walked in on us having sex that you broke your parole so that if he did your dad wouldn't be able to get to you. When you were 17, we had sex for the first time, and you were so scared you barely talked to me afterwards. When you were 15, your dad found one of Mandy's porn magazines that you had stolen under your mattress. You claimed that she had planted it there as a joke, but he beat you anyways."

Ian took another long drink of the vodka. Mickey had told him these stories, the ones he didn't witness, one somber night in prison when there was a lockdown and neither of them could sleep. Ian never forgot them.

"When you were 14, your dad gave you a fifty and told you to go down to the nearest hooker spot and get fucked since he was pissed you can't lost your virginity yet. When you were 12, your dad put some porn on the TV and got mad 'cause your dick didn't get hard. When you were 10, your dad and a few of his drug buddies were at the house packaging some inventory when one of them said he was gay. Your dad and the rest of them beat him so bad he was put into a coma and died a few months later."

Ian wanted to see his husband. He wanted to comfort him, to show him that his dad deserved what he got.

"I have a bottle of cheap vodka and some weed if you wanna come out."

Ian busied himself with rolling a few blunts until he heard the sound of a door being opened next to him.

Mickey came out of the bedroom wrapped in an old blanket he must've brought from the house. His face was slightly pink and his eyes were red, as if he'd been crying.

Ian immediately stood and took the shorter man into his arms. He felt Mickey begin to shake into his chest and he kissed the top of his head lightly.

"He can never hurt you again. He can never hurt anyone again."

Mickey pulled back slightly. Not so much so that he was out of his husbands embrace, but so that he could see his face.

"Do you have that vodka?"

Ian grinned and stepped to the side so Mickey could see the quarter-empty bottle. He maneuvered out of the redhead arms to get to the alcohol and they both sat down on the couch, Ian lighting a blunt.

They switched between the weed and liquor in silence for a few minutes, enjoying each other's company. Mickey eventually rested his head on Ian's shoulder, something he did only when he was really drunk or really tired.

"You know, there's one thing my dad did that I never told you about."

Ian turned his head as well as he could to look down at the brunet. "What's that?"

Mickey took a last swig of the vodka before handing it back to Ian. "It was a few months after you left for the army. Svet was beginning to show and the realness of everything was starting to set in. Terry sat me down at the kitchen table when no one else was home and asked me if I'd done anything f*ggy since the 'incident'."

The couple tried their best not to bring too much light back to the day Terry walked in on them. They talked about it fully one night, and settled on leaving it in the past.

"I said no. Truly I hadn't but even if I had I didn't want to get into a fight with him without anyone else around to witness in case things went south."

Ian's heart dropped. He hated that his husband had to think like that. Usually with his family it was always a fight before think situation. Mickey was never allowed such a luxury.

"Asked if I'd heard anything from you. When I said no he said that was good." Mickey suddenly stopped, as if the next thing he was going to say took a lot of energy out of him. "He said that if you ever came back he'd put a bullet in your head."

Ian inhaled sharply. Terry had always had a liking for violence. He knew he'd killed people before, probably did it without batting an eye, but to think of being seriously targeted by the Milkovich patriarch was something completely different.

"Didn't want you to worry," Mickey continued. "I was scared you'd run away again."

Ian started to shake his head, but stopped. In all truth, he wasn't sure if he wouldn't have run. Facing Terry Milkovich down was no small matter, even for Ian. The idea of fleeing from a situation like that would've certainly been appealing. But he'd never do it now. He would never turn his back on the man he loved.

"Is that why you didn't want me to come to Yevgeny's baptism?"

Yev, Mickey's son, was another thing they didn't talk about very often. Another thing of the past. However, the child was very different than an event, and Mickey and Ian still had a lot of late-night conversations ahead of them concerning both him and Svetlana. Kev and V had given them her new address on the Northside and told them about her new husband. In all honesty, neither of them wanted to uproot her life with their presence, and they definitely didn't want to uproot theirs with hers.

Mickey shrugged against Ian's arm. "I guess, partly. Also cause I didn't want Svet to get mad. I was also a giant pussy and couldn't handle my feelings so there's that."

Ian chuckled lightly. "I seriously am so fucking proud of you. You overcame all of that shit and still came out the other side a better person. I'm positive I couldn't have done the same."

"Bullshit," Mickey swatted at him. "You got through your diagnoses, I know that was difficult."

"Yeah, difficult because I was so fucking stubborn."

"Are we seriously fighting over who had the easier childhood right now?"

Ian laughed brightly. "Wouldn't have it any other way, Mick."

Humming softly, Mickey gave him a light kiss on the cheek. "Me neither. What did I do to deserve you?"

"Well, you put up with my annoying ass for roughly 9 years, so there's that."

Mickey nodded thoughtfully. "Yeah, takes a special sort of person to do that."

"Hey-"

Mickey quickly shoved another blunt into the redhead's mouth, shutting him up effectively. He lit it and reached for the almost empty bottle to give him his own satisfaction.

The two happily married boys eyed each other with a content look written clear as day on their faces.

Yeah, they were going to be fine.