Hogwarts-Bound (Part 2: The Way to the Hall)

In the Headmaster's office, Albus Dumbledore got ready for the sorting, dressing in his trademark purple robes and hat. Adjusting the half-moon glasses on his face, he schooled his smirking features into a grandfatherly mask, smiling in satisfaction. All was ready, and Godric would soon be under his thumb. He'd showered the boy with gifts and lessons, making him ready to face Voldemort, and after he killed him, Albus would kill the boy, taking credit for the defeat of the Dark Lord. Yes, all was well, and he knew just the thing that would make the boy motivated enough - the promise that Harry Potter, younger twin, the forgotten one and the evidently smarter brother would never overshadow himself. 

Fawkes, having just gone through his burning, let out a soft, sad trill and hid his head in his little wings, for in front of him was the true dark lord. 

All the while, the faint moonlight shone on the surface of the glassy, impenetrable waters of the Black Lake as the first years were rowed across in rickety wooden boats with unseen oars. Harry and Draco were debating Quidditch teams (No, the Wimbourne wasps! No Draco, the Holyhead Harpies are far superior!) when they rowed right across a barrier of mist. Their jaws dropped as they took in the sight of the castle looming high and mighty above them - Hogwarts. The castle was colossal with pointed turrets and delicate spires which rose up into the night sky, which twinkled with stars. The barely visible dungeons - the Slytherin Dormitory - reached deep into the depths of the  Black Lake. The castle was absolutely stunning, and the first year's noisy chatter stopped entirely, they were so awestruck. It only took a while before the boats were carrying them through an ivy curtain that hid a large opening in the cliff face, rowing through a dark tunnel that took them right underneath the castle. The boat docked in something that resembled an underground harbour, where they clambered out of the little boats onto rocks and pebbles. They were then herded up a narrow passageway, bobbing after the little ball of light that was Hagrid's lamp till they reached the huge oak front door. 

The huge, tall, bushy-bearded man raised a gigantic meaty fist and banged it three times on the oaken door. 

A stern-faced elderly witch with dark hair opened the door - Professor McGonagall, whose face softened slightly upon seeing Harry. She often frequented Potter Manor as did many of the other teachers and had (like Flitwick and Snape) taken a great liking to Harry, valuing his sharpness and wit over Godric's fame. However, this act did not go unnoticed by Draco, who promptly nudged Harry with a hissed "McGonagall likes you?!", to which he only replied with an amused snort. 

They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. Harry could hear the drone of thousands of voices from a doorway to the right -the rest of the school must already be here -- but Professor McGonagall showed the first years into a small, empty and cramped chamber off the hall. They crowded in, some nervously tapping their feet, some simply standing there, and some whispering amongst themselves. Professor Mcgonagall proceeded to give a speech on the houses and basic rules of Hogwarts, leaving before the ghosts glided in and some shrieked horribly. Harry and Draco just stood there, unfazed - they'd seen much worse, for example a ghoul with a terrible case of spattergroit. 

The entrance door swung open wider, revealing the huge hall within, the dome-like ceiling with a projection of the night sky, the huge banquet hall tables and the floating candles now clearly visible. Despite being purebloods and hearing about this from birth (Harry from eavesdropping, Draco from his mother and father) they all let out gasps of wonder at the beautiful sight.