Chapter 2

When we reached the Wal-Mart, it was almost completely empty. I swear I could have seen a tumbleweed pop out of the store. But it didn't matter. The less the people, the less likely of me leaving my family to become a personal Guinea pig to Project L-137. But something wasn't right. I couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was about to happen. A shiver escaped my body, not from the cold breeze but from the fear bubbling up in my body that it caused my stomach to twist around making me feel queasy.

"Amber you alright sweetheart?" my dad asked

I took a moment to think before saying and tried to steady my voice "Yeah Dad, I just have a bad feeling about this" I said. I was happy with how steady my voice was.

My dad put a firm hand on my shoulder saying "Amber...If I thought something was wrong then we wouldn't have come here. The last thing I want is for my daughter to end up as a science experiment or mistreated by a gang."

He let go of my shoulder which didn't make me feel better at all and got out of the car. It took me a moment to snap out of the haze of fear I was in and unbuckle my seatbelt. I opened the door and jumped to the ground. My dad's white truck was always too tall for me and now it's even too tall for me when I'm 5 '7". I slammed the door hard enough to make me jump a little. I walked around the truck to find my dad putting his gun in the waistband of his jeans. He pulled his blue shirt over the gun to hide it from the plain eye and turned to look at my dark brown eyes with a reassuring smile telling me everything is going to be ok.

As soon as we stepped into the store, nobody else was there. I should have known considering the parking lot. We could just steal the groceries but we would have to check the expiration date considering that this place has no power to keep things from spoiling. I looked at my dad and he gave me the same expression. We both gave a little nod and split ways. I already knew what I was going to do. I was in charge of toilet paper, pasta, water, or any type of drink, and snacks. He was in charge of all the essentials like matches and flashlights if needed.

As I was heading to the pasta, something caught my eye in the toy section. It was an action figure that Jared always wanted when he was 8. It always made me laugh when he came to Wal-Mart with us, he would always beg mom for this action figure. I can't remember what was so special about it. I think the figure had some type of power that could destroy any villain in the world. Jared always spoke so highly of this guy because he wanted to be just like him. I put the action figure in my bag. Along with some clothes that I needed like jeans and surprisingly a cute pair of ankle boots.

I was heading to the pasta when I saw the milk. And then the feeling was back. The queasy feeling in my stomach and I felt a shiver down my spine. I hugged my torso like I was trying to protect my body from being touched by a presence. I turned around, my dark eyes searching the empty store and I swore I saw a movement in the corner of my eye.

"Hello?" I shouted

My eyes narrowed, while my thoughts were screaming "RUN RUN it's not safe here" and I chose not to listen. I turned back around to face the milk again. I walked towards it slowly and then I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around fast enough to make me feel a little light-headed. And I saw the black figure approaching. My eyes widened and I felt my heart pumping adrenaline into my veins. I felt the strength course through me and I turned around and ran. I felt my legs jump like a Gazelle running through the forest. And then I heard my name.

"Amber!" He said

I stopped in my tracks almost 5 feet away from the door and turned around to face him. The light outside made his face visible to me and I was worried for nothing.

"Dad!" I walked towards him with my brows drawn together

I punch him in the arm hard enough that I know it would hurt.