Chapter 27

"You guys need to come with me. Now," She said. I turned back to look at Trevor and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"What's wrong Lydia?" He asked.

"It's Jared," She said. I felt my heart race again but a pit in my stomach this time. I got up from the bed and Trevor followed. I walked over to Lydia and gave a small nod before we both walked out, side by side and leaving Trevor to walk behind us. She rushed down the stairs and didn't say a word which worried me. What was going on that Lydia was so quiet. What happened to Jared? Is he ok? Did the labs get him? Is my aunt dead?

Once we finally reached The slaza, Lydia ran to the second door that was next to the cafeteria door. I've never been there. I walked into the room that had 20 computers separated into 2 rows and one big screen in the very front of the room. On there were updates for the database, new kids that have entered the database, rewards system, and kids that have escaped The labs or The WildFires. The room was empty except for one boy and me, Lydia, and Trevor. She ran over to the computer that was glowing right next to the asian boy. He looked a lot like Lily.

"Nick, pull it up," Lydia said, typing something on her computer.

"Who's he?" Trevor asked, coming up behind me. The boy looked up at me and gave a small smile. His eyes were the same as Lily's but his hair was curly while Lily had hers straight.

"He's a friend. He helped me out with hacking into this part of the surveillance," She explained. Right after she finished her sentence, Amanda, Amy, Lucas, and Emily all bursted through the door.

"What are you two doing in here? This is only for athorized personnel to enter. Like surveillance," She explained. Nick turned to look at Lydia and then at Amanda.

"She needs to see this Amanda," He said in a deep but soft voice. Amanada looked at me for a moment before nodding at Nick. He typed something into his computer and then a live surveillance video came onto the big screen. I turned my eyes to the screen and so did Trevor. Amanda stood in the back of the room while Lucas, Emily, and Amy came to stand next to us.

On the screen was Jared strapped into a chair, laying down completely still and there was a woman in a lab coat and my aunt in the room. But she was dead. Her dirty blonde hair was stained with blood pooling from her shoulder and abdomen. I felt tears well up in my eyes seeing her dark eyes stare at me without a sign of life in them. It took a moment to rip my eyes away from her to my brother.

"What did they do to him?" I said as I felt the pit go deeper and my heart race faster than ever.

"He was struggling too much so they injected him with some type of anesthesia," Nick said. I turned my head away from him and back up at the screen when I heard a deep breath come from the video. I felt Trevor grab my hand and entangle our fingers together. Amy came up next to me and Lucas came up next to Trevor. I looked at Amy before turning back to the screen. Jared's dark brown hair was messy and his eyes were filled with fear.

"Where is she? Where's Aunt Jenna?" He said in a panicked voice, looking around the room and struggling against the restraints. The tears were pricking at my eyes now, about to fall. I could feel fear and anger build up inside, rushing through my veins. It felt like I couldn't breathe anymore.

"We are sorry to tell you this but your Aunt is dead," the lady in the lab coat said, facing away from him and filling a syringe with a liquid. He stopped struggling when he heard the words roll out of her mouth and rested his head against the chair, in shock and sadness.

"What did you do with her?" He asked in an angry tone, slowly turning his head to look at the lady. He repeated himself when she didn't answer.

"She wouldn't give us the information we needed. So, we had to terminate her. She already knew too much about us," She said. He narrowed his eyes in anger, like he was crushing her in his mind.