Chapter 24

We stayed in the same position for 5 minutes. My head resting against Trevor's chest, feeling the warmth that he gave off. His hand stroking my soft hair. I took a deep breath, inhaling the rain and leather scent Trevor had. I lifted my head, feeling relaxed, and looked at Trevor's dark eyes while his hand fell to my cheek. His thumb carefully moved across my cheek.

"I should go wake Lydia up," I said in a quiet voice. I took his hand under mine and took it off of my cheek, standing up and walking away from him and out of the room. I walked down the hallway, reaching Lydia's room. I opened the door and saw her walking around to the chair that her bag was in.

"Lydia?" I said. She turned her head around and looked at me.

"What are you doing up?" I asked, walking over to her.

"I heard the gunshots. I figured that we would be leaving and I couldn't go back to sleep so I'm packing up. Isn't that why you came to get me?" She said. I nodded at her.

"There's some clothes and food downstairs in the lobby. Do you want to go get some new clothes and something to eat before we leave?" I asked. She put on a small smile and walked over to me.

"Let's go then," She said, walking past me and out of the room. I turned around and walked right behind her. She walked all the way to the door that led to the stairs and down to the lobby. I stayed quiet behind her, clearing my thoughts.

"What's wrong?" She asked without stopping in her tracks.

"Nothing. Just thinking," I said, reaching the door that entered the lobby. I started walking next to her.

"About what?" She asked, curious.

I shook my head. "Nothing in particular," I said, lying to cover up everything that I learned within the past hour. Trevor has side-effect strength, Jack came to kill Trevor and take me to the labs, He was an L-27, And I have side-effect intelligence. And I almost got killed an hour ago. Of course I was lying. I didn't want to worry her.

"You thinking about your boyfriend?" She said in a teasing voice. I laughed at her implied joke.

"Has anything happened between you two?" She asked in a more serious tone. We kept walking to the store I saw earlier and I opened the door letting her in. I smiled at the thought that popped into my head.

"Earth to Amber," She said. I looked up at her.

"No. Nothing," I lied again. That was something that I wanted to keep to myself. The night Trevor and I spent together, the nights in the gym, and the sunset on the roof. Those were memories that I wanted to store away so that they wouldn't be tainted by anyone or anything.

"Ok. Sure. I totally believe you," She said, wondering to a pair of jeans she saw. I wandered to the other side of the store, looking at a different pair of jeans. 2 of the 3 jeans I have were stained with blood from all the injuries I've gotten.

"What do you want to know then?" I asked. I picked up the jeans that had one rip on one of the knees. I balled it up and placed it on top of the clothing rack.

"Has he hurt you?" She asked, not meeting my eyes.

"Trevor would never hurt me. Why would you ask that?" I asked with surprise in my tone.

"Oh no. I didn't mean like physically. I meant, has he said anything hurtful? Trevor isn't the most cautious with his words but he's careful with what he touches. Probably because he knows he can break things with one hand," She said, finally meeting my surprised eyes.

"Trevor isn't the best at hiding things from me. He never has been," She said shrugging.

"So you know?" I said. She nodded at me.