Chapter VIII: Revelation: Flashback

Moved by her genuine expression, he finally opened up about their unforgettable past ---- their friendship; all mockeries which continue to haunt them.

Billy, George, Ken, Louie, Tim and Yan are very close friends since grade school. All of them loved and protected the princess of their group, Yan. As they grew up, the unusual closeness between Billy and Yan became noticeable until they reached senior high. Everyone saw the spark between the two. Everyone used to tease them. Billy has been a heartthrob since they were in high school but Yan was the only girl who can look at him in the eyes and make him do anything she pleased. She never chased him unlike other girls and she never showed any interest on him. That challenged him. He felt he’s been mocked down every time he’s with her. Soon, he realized that he had fallen for her but don’t know if he will pursue his feelings or not. Then, the promenade came. Billy thought it was his chance to get to Arianne ---- to confess and she’ll be his girl from that night on.

Arianne was crowned as the prom queen and Kevin the prom king. Everyone expected Billy to be the prom king but it turned out surprisingly different. Her smiles as he looked at Ken almost crushed Billy’s heart. Now, it was obvious. He never liked him. It was Ken. Raged with jealousy, Billy dragged her down the stage. She resisted. Then, he kissed her hard on the lips. Arianne slapped him angrily. But he seemed to lose his mind. They tried to stop the commotion but as Ken tried to calm him, he hit him on the temple. Arianne rushed to help Ken but he pushed her away. He wanted to save their friendship by avoiding her.

Weeks passed but the three of them did not talk to each other. One hot summer afternoon, Arianne approached Ken and asked him to talk. He agreed to meet her exactly 6 p.m. at the park, the same spot where he confessed to Joey. Ken saw to it that Billy would be informed. He knew he’ll come because he truly loves Arianne and his affection had driven him mad… so mad. “I’m glad you came,” Arianne said softly giving Ken a warm hug. He moved back. She tugged him trying to reach for his lips but the lad resisted. “Why?” she groaned. “Am I that ugly? Don’t you feel the same?” She clutched his coat but Ken continued to resist. “I’m sorry, Yan. I never meant to hurt you… but I’m not the man for you. I can never be at your side in times you needed me because I can’t.” he answered softly. Tears began to fall from her eyes. Billy watched from afar. His heart ached. He wanted to approach her… to caress her… to absorb her anguish Ken’s words had brought her, but he can’t. He was told not to interfere. Ken offered Arianne his handkerchief. The girl slapped him. She turned back burying her face in her delicate hands.

She stopped sobbing. Again, Ken offered her his hanky as he said, “Let’s go home…” Arianne faced him then he gently wiped her delicate face and hugged her. He whispered to her ears softly, “There is a better man for you… not me but Billy. He cares for you the most. He loved you for so long but he’s afraid to show it. We believe you and he matched perfectly.” Seeing Arianne wrapped around Ken’s arms hurt him more. He felt as if someone ripped his chest, pierced his heart and tore it apart and made him suffer a slow death. He can no longer bear to watch, He clenched his fist then left. Being rejected, Arianne felt stung by a thousand needles. She doesn’t want to hear more from the guy she loved from the very start. She cannot bear the pain… she wanted him badly. “Why can’t you love me back?” she yelled. Ken clasped her hands and looked at her in the eyes, “Give him a chance, Budz… Give it a try… You and Billy might work out.” She glared at him. He continued, “All of us have seen the sparks. It’s time for you to look at him differently ---- from friends to being more than friends… Please! Give it a try, Budz… Feeling the sparks within the both of you will eventually enable you to see the sparks we see in you…” Then, there was a long silence and serenity filled the air.

“You dumped my lovely cousin just like that?” Joey said her hands trembling in disgust. “Easy… easy…” Ken replied offering her a grape soda. “Then, what happened after that night? Did you take her home?” Ken nodded in response and continued his narration. His eyes beamed and his lips curled into a wide smile as if telling Joey that everything went well.

The next day, their bond seemed to grow stronger. They started talking to each other just like before. Yan and Bill turned sweeter than ever and the sparks they saw in them soon burned brighter like a flame. They never admitted their relationship until they reached college. The six of them attended Florence Academy. Yan and Bill have been the most popular couple in the entire campus. Indeed a perfect match. Both good – looking and brilliant, they stood out in every event.  The entire group believed in them ---- a match truly made in heaven. But things turned out differently when they finally opened up their relationship to their families. Billy’s parents never liked Arianne when they learned about her background. For them, it was a disgrace to have her in the family. Both fought for their love until an accident happened.

On the middle of the semester, Mr. and Mrs. Roberts summoned Arianne. To show respect, she came on time. They asked her to break – up with their son: finish everything what they started and cut all means of communication between them. They told her they will send Billy to France where he could continue to study. His parents made her think it will be the best for them especially for Billy. So she agreed. Yan loved Billy with all her heart. She is willing to give up everything for him even if it cost her her happiness. The night of their 1st anniversary, she ended their relationship. “Billy, I think it’s best if we’ll stop this nonsense.” Her words cut through her. Billy stared at her astonished. She continued forcing her lips not to quiver and to look at him straight in the eyes, “I realized I never loved you at all. Everything was a mistake… we got tangled in everybody’s cheers.” “Budz, stop saying those nonsense,” Billy replied, his voice almost break. He gestured to kiss her but she turned away. “We are over… I don’t want to see you anymore,” she finally uttered as tears filled her eyes then she left. Billy tried to chase her but her guards stopped him. A fight broke out when he forced to get thru Arianne. He had been beaten badly by her guards. She could not bear the pain. She wanted to jump off the car… reach for him… hold him in her arms and kiss the pain away but she can’t. She made a pact to his parents. Her family will be at stake and there will be no future for both of them. He called out her name several times. It hurt her so much. She looked at him helplessly, her tears flowing down her cheeks. He saw her tears. “Budz, I know you’re lying! Why are you doing this? Why are you doing this to me? Why?!” Billy shouted. She couldn’t stand the scene, she ordered to leave.

Furious, he rode his bike and chased after them. He made to get close until he reached the door beside her. He kept on calling her name but she never looked. The driver accelerated and shifted to the left side of intersection. Billy followed, but all of a sudden, a collision occurred. As quick as lightning, he got hit by a truck. To Arianne’s horror, she hurriedly got off and ran to him. “Help! Please! Somebody call 911…” she screamed with deep anguish.

Just on time, Billy was brought to the hospital. Her parents never sued Arianne as long as she will keep her promise. After the surgery, she made her final goodbye to Billy. The entire group had witnessed how she loved him. She kissed him on the forehead as her tears touched his face. Then, she left. When Billy gained consciousness, no one spoke about Arianne. He looked for her and begged for her presence but his family forbade. He longed for her. He wanted to see her so bad, he forced to get up. Unfortunately, his legs were broken. It took him a year to finally recover from the accident but the wounds caused by their sudden break up never healed. He wanted to search for answers… he wanted her explanations. Soon he learned the truth from his parents. He promised to get Arianne back. His persistence helped him come back to his normal life. But too late, Arianne left the country. No one told him where to find her. He waited for another two years until she finally returned.

Billy was determined. He’ll propose to Arianne no matter what happen. But a shocking revelation reached him: a fixed marriage arrangement between him and her relative had been decided…