Chapter II: The Party: Tonight

It has been a hard day for Joey. Sitting beside a handsome monster for hours made her too exhausted and unfocused. She even tried to change her schedule but failed. The registrar did not accept her lousy excuses. She almost sent her to the students' affairs office upon learning the incident. Luckily, she was only teasing.

When Joey got home, the ambiance surprised her ----- fancy pastries and salad, sweets, roasts and other stuff met her eyes. Her mouth watered with the tempting aroma and delightful view of delicacies. "Why are you standing there? Aren't you going to fix yourself?" Regaining her senses, she turned around. It was her mother. She frowned then realized that they are hosting a party tonight. She hung her head and apologized "I'm sorry I almost forgot. I'm going." "Oh honey!" her mother said arranging the glass wares, "I asked Arianne to help you up. She's waiting... in your room."

Arianne Barton is Joey's cousin. She has pale blue, tantalizing eyes which resembled like of the Japanese's making her look so innocent and sweet. She has a small face with high cheek bones, aquiline nose, thin pinkish lips and augmented chin. Her complexion is fairly reddish and her hair thick, wavy and dark brown. Joey viewed her as an intelligent looking, well mannered and voluptuous maiden. For her, her cousin's face seemed to be perfect even without fancy make up and she is very appealing and amiable. As far as Joey knows, she is the daughter of her Uncle Mike from a whore he met in Thailand, whom she inherited most of her pretty features. They got married but soon divorced because her family never liked the girl.

"What happened to your hair?" Joey grinned. "Oh! Isn't it obvious? I cut it. Don't you like it?" Joey moved close to Arianne and gave her a hug. "I really miss you, sis." Arianne whispered. " "So do I." replied Joey smiling. "I think your new hair style is cool. I wish it could suit me." Joey continued. "Well how's your first day at Florence Academy? Did you meet him?" "Meet who?" replied Joey, puzzled. "Oh maybe you haven't met him yet. But I'm pretty sure you will like him. Besides you'll be formally introduced tonight." Arianne said teasingly.

Joey felt a sudden awkwardness with the event tonight. She hated fixed marriage agreements and wanted to disappear. She even imagined that her family traded her to be toyed by an ugly bald man who is almost his grandfather or father or to a horrible whiny brat. But she couldn't back out. She knew some of the consequences for disobedience and it will cost her family much.

After taking a long bath, Arianne helped her prepare for the night. Joey lacks the skill in making herself look good in such occasions. Good thing her cousin is a vanity expert. Arianne is a professional stylist. She quit her management course and started attending fashion classes. When her dad and grandparents learned about it, she was forced to quit school. Her credit cards were blocked and she never received a penny from her family. Persistent and clever, she secretly applied as an apprentice in a small salon few blocks away from their home. She saved every penny she earned so she could attend trainings on styling and fashion. Not long, her skills got better. She began competing on make - up and hair style competitions and cosplay. It was like a blast gaining popularity by participating in such events. She brought home the bacon for several times and always got a place in instances she failed to become the champ. The salon where she worked as an apprentice grew big as her potentials have been greatly enhanced. She became a partner of the establishment and her family soon accepted her chosen path after learning her achievements.

"There! Perfect!" exclaimed Arianne as she placed her hands on Joey's shoulders. "You look stunning sis. I'm sure your fiancé's mouth will water." she continued with a giggle. Joey sighed and held her cousin's hand. She twisted "Thanks sis. I know I can rely greatly on you in this." Both exchanged smiles. Few moments later, Joey's mother called for them. The party is about to begin.