Chapter 2

Hermione suddenly opened her eyes on hearing that name.

"Tom Riddle" she repeated fearfully in her mind.

"I'm in front of Voldemort"   "Indeed, Voldemort trapped me along this tree" she continued.

"Wait a moment, how is it possible? The Dark Lord is certainly not a boy who studies at Hogwarts" she thought in shock "And he certainly has no hair! Or a nose for what matters"

"I see that you know my name" he said with an irritating grin on his face, pleased with her frightened look.

"You're not Tom Riddle" she shot out, revealing her thoughts aloud.

His smile widened further in contrast to the expression his eyes were sharing.

"What makes you believe that my words are not true? Yet I read in your eyes that my name is familiar to you, so you know who I am and, from the state of your trembling knees, I also deduce that you know what I'm capable of "

Hermione did not know how to argue, struggling to believe the words of the person in front of her, inexorably still tied to the belief that she was still in her time and that everything was going according to her plans, or almost.

"It can't be" she thought more and more doubtful and, at the same time, terrified by the possibility that all that was really real "It's not really happening"

"It's not physically possible, right? Such a thing cannot happen" she told herself "This would mean that the time-turner has taken me further back in time than it should have and, consequently, now I cannot save my friends from their fate"

"What day is it?"s he asked, again without thinking about it.

"June 14"

"Of what year?"

"1943" he replied incredulously "Did you hit your head somewhere by chance? How can you not remember what year it is? " he asked suspiciously.

Hermione's eyes widened, realizing that she had thought aloud and therefore revealed some very important information about her condition and why she was there at that moment; she composed herself immediately, looking for a few words to say to his interlocutor in order to deflect all the suspicions that surely have come to his mind; in her search she remembered the words he had spoken a little while before and she clung desperately to them:

"I- Yes, I hit my head before, that's probably why I'm a bit confused; obviously it's 1943, what other year should it be? "s he said in one breath, hoping with all her might that Tom Riddle believed her words.

He was silent for a few moments, weighing her words; this gave Hermione time to clear up her now totally confused thoughts.

"There must be an explanation of why I ended up here" she wondered thoughtfully; suddenly she remembered the time-turner and what had happened just before she used it.

"It must have been when that Death Eater hit me. My finger will have slipped on the lap time and I must have increased its laps by arriving in this time "

"Earlier he said he was a prefect; in fact, if I remember correctly, he should have been elected in 1943... However this is not the main problem now; who knows if the time-turner can take me back into the future, even if arriving here was just an unfortunate case, it should also work in reverse, right? It shouldn't depend on the distance of years, theoretically there shouldn't be any problems "

"But perhaps it is better not to be so rash, caution is never too much; I think it's better if I do some research in the library, while I'm there "