𝒗. deny. deny. deny.

five

five

a mysterious death on the outer banks was rare. probably because there had never really been one before big john's disappearance. but now there was a death. the death of a man that marina had recognised instantly as scooter grubbs; she had helped miss lana storm prep a couple of times over the years, and had seen her husband scooter multiple times in passing. the grubbs' residence was one of marina's favourite houses on the island; decorated in bright paints and hanging tapestries, it resembled a hippie paradise. watching lana grubbs run toward the group of paramedics whom surrounded the gurney that supported the body made marina's throat swell.

"who is that?" john b asked the girl sitting beside him on the huge wooden counter.

"it's scooter grubbs. he was out during the storm." the girl, dani, replied pulling her phone from her pocket with a look of excitement at her claim to fame. "check out this pic i got. dead body."

all three boys leant in towards the girl to get a better view of the gruesome pictures displayed on her screen; even kie leant in. the moment Dani's phone was turned toward marina she had turned around to look anywhere but at the real or the picture version of scooter grubbs' dead body.

      "fucking inconsiderate." she scoffed.

      "what boat did he have?" jj asked dani; clearly being the only one to connect the dots.

      "somehow, that dirtbag copped a brand-new grady white." dani responded. how did this girl know everything? marina was pretty sure that dani had no right to calling someone a dirtbag when she'd witnessed the girl swallow burnt cigarette ends as a dare on multiple occasions. but she didn't say that out loud. "everyone's out looking for it."

      "we've gotta go, was nice seeing you dani." jj exclaimed, swinging his arm around marina's shoulder and ushering everyone to move away from her and towards the twinkie that john b had parked in a nearby parking lot. "can you believe that?"

"do you guys think i should visit miss lana?" the girl asked, glancing up at the blond who was deep in thought, she was sure if she listened hard enough she'd hear his brain working on overdrive.

she didn't receive an answer, in fact nobody spoke for the entire journey to the chateau. which unfortunately left marina to think about scooter and the boat. it was no hidden fact that the grubbs' were not wealthy, far from it in fact. marina had seen scooter upon multiple occasions asking residents of the island for any spare change, and she was never one to reject him and always gave him enough for him to buy his cigarettes from the porthole. lana was friends with marina's mother when the two were children, only for malory to leave her behind with all other things she considered 'too pogue'. marina was pretty sure that she too was also in that category of malory's mind.