Assignment 10 - Episode 2

"Be careful Steel." Sapphire whispered to him as she followed him out of the room. "It could be a trick." 

"I know." Steel replied in a low tone. "I think we're getting closer anyway, I think it's coming from the stairs again."

"Yes." Sapphire nodded and followed him out of the empty flat room, closing the down carefully behind her.

"Come on." Steel hissed as he cautiously stepped down a few steps, with Sapphire quietly following. Once they had got down the first flight of stairs, they noticed someone, a woman,  peacefully sitting on the next flight, almost like they were waiting. Sapphire and Steel both looked at each other.

Steel suddenly commanded "Turn around."

"Oh I wonder who that could possibly be!" The woman said as she turned to face the pair.

"What are you doing here?" Steel mumbled.

"Ah yes, hello to you as well." The woman smiled as she stood up.

"What happened to you Diamond?" Sapphire questioned her whilst subtly scanning her up and down.

Yes, that was indeed Diamond, the posh, sophisticated woman with very long golden blonde hair and a white faux fur coat and dress. Except, something was wrong, it looked like she had just returned from ruins or the underground, looking very worn out.

"Ah.. well that's what I'm here about." She announced, looking at the pair.

"Well, go on then." Steel requested.

Diamond rolled her eyes at the lack of patience from Steel and quickly turned to look at Sapphire. 

"Well, first off I decided to check this place out since I knew you'd be coming here, since I more or less planned the whole thing from where I am now-"

"You're making no sense whatsoever." Steel interrupted.

Diamond let out a heavy sigh "If you would be so kind to let me finish explaining... fine, let me try and explain this a simpler way. The Diamond of this time, am I still at base?"

"No, you're obviously here with us... unless... ah, I see. You're from another timezone, aren't you."

"Yes, now remember I don't have long, in about... a few months, in human time of course, you two are going to be along side me and a few others. We're going to be facing possibly our biggest challenge yet, hence so many of us are needed."

"Are we permitted to know the nature of this challenge?" Sapphire asked.

"It's too dangerous."

"And you don't think travelling here is dangerous enough?! YOU are causing the time break here, you know you aren't supposed to use your abilities like that, it's too dangerous!" Steel told her angrily.

"I didn't have a choice!" Diamond snapped back. "If I did I wouldn't be doing it, I know of the risks!"

"Alright, alright." Sapphire interrupted calmly. "Is it some sort of war, perhaps?"

"Sapphire I'm sorry but I can't tell you much more than I am now... yes, I suppose it is some sort of war, but not the wars we've seen before. They don't involve anyone but us and..."

"And whom?" Steel questioned as Diamond took a pause.

"I can't tell you, I'm sorry I wish I could." She shook her head with guilt.

"What else can you tell us?" Sapphire asked her.

"I haven't got enough time!" Diamond panicked.

"You certainly won't if you keep telling us that! Tell us more! If this is supposed to be a warning it's not a very insightful one!" Steel abruptly said to Diamond, who looked worriedly to her side.

"I'm sorry I need to go." Diamond told them.

"You can't leave us at that!" Steel frustratedly answered.

"Steel, Diamond can't go past a certain time limit remember? If she does we could all be in danger, as the timeline as we know it could." Sapphire told him as she put her hand on his shoulder comfortingly.

"I'll see if maybe I can come back but I really need to go. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful right now." Diamond said with a tone of guilt as she slowly faded away.

"Great. That was a complete waste of everyone's time." Steel sighed in annoyance.

"She tried her best." Sapphire replied.

"What now?" Steel asked as he started to slowly pace.

"I don't know, Steel... I don't know..."