Chapter 16

I got to the closest hospital to the highway I was rescued on and doctor's poked and prodded me wild. I wasn't in a stable state yet to give my statement to officers, so the nurses and doctors told me to get as much rest as possible overnight and try to gain back any memory in the morning.

Thankfully, I felt a lot better in the morning. I awoke to see my father, Willow, and an officer at my bedside.

"Hi Julie, my name is Officer Glenn and I am here to get your statement." I nodded. "Can you tell me what happened last night before you ran out onto the highway?"

"I was going to get some aspirin when he came up behind me and threatened me with a gun." The officer nodded. "He took me outside and pushed me into his car. After a while he pulled over and then threw me in his trunk. He hit me in the head with the gun and I blacked out." Another nod from the officer before I continued. "I regained consciousness inside a small house or building of some sort. It had wood floors and it was really dark. He started to touch me and kiss me and I tried not to fight back because I wanted to live. Then he asked me if I liked how it felt, so I said no." The officer raised an eyebrow and wrote down what I was saying. "He started hitting me and screaming terrible things at me. I started bleeding and I felt numb. Everything hurt, but he still continued to beat me bloody. I begged him to stop, but he only started whipping me which stung like crazy. I started screaming back at him and he took out a knife. That's when he stabbed me. I took the knife and stabbed him so I could run. I didn't mean to kill him. Honest."

The officer looked up and sighed. "Who is he?"

"Daniel Black." He laughed.

"Not again..." The officer's expression was irritating. "Daniel and I have known each other for too long. He is always causing trouble. That's all he is, Trouble."

I imagined myself rolling my eyes.

"Do you know where he took you exactly?" The officer returned to writing down my exact words.

"I don't know, It was hard to see. I didn't recognize it." I sighed loudly.

"Was there anything unique you saw when you escaped, like a landmark?"

"I saw a lot of trees on one side, but no other houses. The highway was pretty far from where I was. I could vaguely see it, but I could see it enough to know what it was." The officer nodded again.

"What type of gun did Daniel have?"

"I don't know."

"What was he wearing?"

"Blue jeans and an oldish black shirt."

"What did the room look like?"

"Small. It had wood floors like I said, but It was too dark to get a good look."

"Ok. What could you smell?"

"Lots of smoke."

"Was there a fire burning near the room?"

"Not that I know of."

"How did you get out of the room?"

"I ran past him and out a small door, then I ran down a short hallway and out the back door."

"Ok. Where did you stab him?"

"His chest, It sounded like he was choking." I began to cry. "I am so sorry!" I put my hands over my eyes and sobbed.

"From what you are telling me it sounds like self defense. You don't need to apologize." The officer finished writing things down and left me in the room with my father and Willow.