Chapter Thirteen: Plane to Hell

I couldn't feel anything.

That was the problem. 

I should be feeling pain, but I felt no different than before. 

"Darling," Harry's deep voice rang softly out behind me as his arms wrapped around my waist. "It's okay. You're okay, my love."

"What?" I opened my eyes to see Tom slumped against the wall, blood seeping out of his chest. "What happened? He had a gun to my head."

"I shot him before he could hurt you, b-but you're okay, right?"

"Yes Harry, I'm fine." He pulled me away from the body and sat me in the back of the plane. He told me to sit here while he turns the plane back towards our original destination. "Wait, What will we do with Tom?"

"I'll take care of it. I just want to get you out of Russia. It's too dangerous there. It's safer if we relocate." He put the plane on auto pilot and then ordered me not to watch as he wrapped Tom in an emergency blanket Harry had brought. 

I began to shake as the reality of what just happened kicked in.

Harry almost died. I almost died. I watched someone bleed out in front of me, because Harry shot them.

There is a dead body behind me right now.

"Claire," Harry came back over to me and grabbed my hand. "I want you to sit in the pilot's room with me."

"Okay." He shielded my eyes as we slipped past the blanket-wrapped body. 

"Are you alright?"

"I-I don't know. I think my heart is going to explode."

"That's your adrenaline, baby. Everything is okay, though. You're okay." I nuzzled my nose into his hair and let him cradle me in his lap. "You're okay." Every time he said it he held me closer and closer to him. 

"Harry, what did we do?" Tears swelled into my eyes as I thought about the dead man in the other room. I played a part in killing him. "I killed a man!"

"Honey, what are you talking about? You did nothing wrong. I was the one who killed him - you didn't do anything whatsoever. If anything you tried to help him. You tried to get him to give you his gun, but he wouldn't listen."

"No you don't understand! You killed him for me. It's my fault you killed him!"

"Stop baby - calm down. We would both be dead if I hadn't killed him. Nothing is your fault." 

Everything went so wrong so fast. One second Harry and I were ready for out honeymoon, but now it feels like we're on a plane to hell.