Chapter Thirty-Two: Micah

"This is it?"

Micah cringed at the tone in Adelaide's voice. The disbelief, the distaste, the disapproval. That wasn't a good start.

The pair stood in front of an old mobile home. Supposedly, it belonged to an old friend of Scythe's. Even from outside, it stunk. Micah resisted the urge to wrinkle his nose. He was trying to pass this place off as somewhere he'd willingly choose over a nice hotel in downtown Amberchase, after all.

God, this was going to be difficult.

"Yeah, Addie," He flatly said. "This is it."

"It's a dump!" She exclaimed. "Good God, how do you stand living here?!"

"It's just temporary." He sighed. "The actual shelter's being fumigated. We're staying here for a few days until it's done."

"I'm going to want to see that shelter as soon as I can, you know," She said, turning slightly to face him better. "It had better be spick and span, otherwise I'm dragging you back to my hotel room. Who knows what kinds of diseases you'd catch in a place like this?" She gestured to the mobile home. "Is this even up to code?"

"It's a homeless shelter, Addie. Not a five-star hotel." He rolled his eyes. "It's not going to be spick and span, and you know it."

"Fine, but it's got to be better than this place, at least." She made a gagging sound. "I refuse to go in there."

"Oh." Micah tried not to seem too relieved by that. "Well, I guess you can just meet Rose out here."

"Rose? You mean, that girl who annoys you so much?" There was a grin in her voice.

Well, at least they'd predicted correctly. Adelaide was a sucker for teasing Micah. And for trying to set him up with people. He could tell she was already imagining how to get him and Rose together, no matter how he protested. She wasn't the best at matchmaking, judging by how his relationship with his ex-boyfriend ended. But she made up for her failed attempts by doggedly believing she'd set him up with his soulmate someday.

But by God, he wished she'd latch onto anyone but Rose. Well, anyone but Rose and Alastor. And Max. Colton and Lian seemed... okay, though he and Lian didn't always get along. He didn't know if he could see himself dating either of them, though. Especially when he had no idea if they would date guys or not.

"So I get to meet her?" Adelaide elbowed him.

"Yes, yes you do," He said. "She... well, she said she's interested in joining TAFAH too."

Adelaide lit up. Quite literally. Her energy flared with excitement. "She is?" She exclaimed. "That's great!"

"Yeah, well, she's not quite like Lian and I," Micah warned her. "She doesn't have some heroic legacy. She's just a punk who can throw a punch."

"Who are you calling a punk?!"

Micah whirled around in surprise. "Rose," He quickly said. "I didn't hear you coming."

"What, and you didn't detect me with that fancy glowing-eye thingy of yours?" She huffed.

"I didn't," He muttered, mentally kicking himself.

Beside him, Adelaide had turned to face Rose. "Hi!" Her voice was packed full of warmth and friendliness. "So you're Rose? I've heard so much about you!"

"Yeah, I'm sure you have." Rose huffed.

Adelaide marched right up to her and wrapped her in a hug. Poor Rose went stiff as a board, not expecting the embrace at all.