Chapter 22

JADE PICKS ME UP, WHICH IS OUR FIRST REAL INTERACTION IN NEARLY a week. She doesn't say anything to me, not even a simple "happy birthday". The whole thing strikes me as odd, but I'm still riding the adrenaline high from skydiving, so I don't think too much of it.

Besides, I'm about to see my maybe-boyfriend and go for my second run ever in my wolf form. I don't exactly have the time or the mental capacity to be worried about why Jade has suddenly decided we aren't friends anymore.

We pull into a familiar looking driveway, and I realize faintly that this is Ryder's house. I haven't been here since the morning I woke up after my first shift and thought he might have kidnapped me.

Fond memories.

He opens the car door for me, pulling me out and crushing me against his chest as he presses a possessive kiss to my lips. "Hey, baby."

"Hi," I breathlessly greet him, my head swimming from the kiss and the alcohol still working its way out of my system.

Ryder takes my hand in his and tugs me towards the side of the house. The entire development opens up to the woods in the back, just like mine. I can hear Jade following on near-silent feet as we wade deeper into the tree line, leaving the house far behind.

The sun has set, plunging the earth into darkness. There is a new moon tonight, so we lack even a sliver of moonlight to help guide the way. The dark has never bothered me, and it certainly doesn't now.

After several minutes of walking, I finally spot the outline of what appears to be candles. A long table is just ahead of us, filled with foods and wine, surrounded by the rest of the shifters. Even Lyra is here, flashing a satisfied smile around.

"It's beautiful," I murmur, turning to kiss Ryder roughly. "Thank you."

It really is lovely. Candles are scattered throughout the space, some sitting atop the table, others placed in the soft soil. Everyone turns to look at me as we approach, and the candlelight turns their grins into fierce, menacing shadows. They all look extraordinarily wolfish tonight.

I am ushered to the head of the table, where my plate is packed with the many different dishes, wine already filling my glass. My heart flutters with such joy, such happiness that I am here. That I am one of them.

"To Calla!" Lyra toasts, raising her glass.

I freeze for a second, not sure how to react to that particular brand of crazy, but in the end I don't see a way that it could be a trick or hidden insult. I offer her a tentative smile and take a sip of my wine, the tart flavor coming to life on my tongue.

We spend half an hour eating and drinking, chatting with one another. For once, Lyra isn't actively throwing verbal jabs at me, which should fill me with a sense of pride or victory, but it doesn't. The only thing I feel is on edge, fuzzy. Jade doesn't look at me or speak to me once, and Ryder keeps gifting me with feral smiles that are more a show of teeth than anything else.

My wine is refilled several times, though I never actually raise a hand to fill it myself. And damn it, that shit is good. I chug at least three glasses before it suddenly hits me like a baseball bat to the brain.

My mouth feels dry, tingly, and I know I've hit the point where I've had too much to drink. I fall silent, trying to gather my thoughts and physically force myself out of the stupor threatening to wash over me.

"...kicked in yet?" someone says, the words drifting over my ears.

I blink, trying to force the blurry world into focus. I can still hear the wolves talking, but I am no longer a part of the conversation.