Chapter 7

(3rd person)

(y/n)'s eyes fluttered open as she adjusted to the bright lights taking in the expressions of the avengers. Clint attacked her in a hug to which she merely responded to with a chuckle.

"How long was I out?"

"3 days," Tony spoke from his corner, "Luckily the bullets went through and non got stuck miraculously. It also helps that you have a mild healing ability."

She tilted her head to the side, "Yeah, that helped." She began doing various stretches and stood up, feeling her legs get slightly wobbly.

"Hey, wheres Thor and Banner?"

"Thor went to Asgard, and Banner, well, we don't know where he is." Steve answered this time.

(Time skip)

"Five years ago I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my back swing," Ross demonstrates to the avengers, "Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass. I found something 40 years in the army had never taught me. Perspective. The world owes the avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?"

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of U.S based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict there will wherever they choose and who, frankly seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

The screen show places the avengers have attacked, "New York. Washington D.C. Sokovia." Many turn to look away from the screen, (y/n) looks down at her lap while Sam takes one of her hands in his own rubbing it gently.

"Lagos."

"Okay, that's enough," Steve removes his hand from his face, to stare pointedly at Ross. "For the past 4 years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement to governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution."

An agent hands Ross a small book, who passes it around the table to view. (y/n) takes the book in her unoccupied hand and reads the cover, "The Sokovia Accords."

"Approved by 117 countries, it states that the avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that."

"Tell me Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me this is the middle ground."

"So, there are contingencies?" Rhodey asks.

"Three days from now the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the accords. Talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" (y/n) asks boldly as she makes a move to stand up.

"Then you retire."

"Secretary Ross has a congressional medal of honor. One more than you have." Rhodey sassed Sam.

"So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they Lo Jack us like a bunch of common criminals."

"117 countries want to sign this, 117 Sam and you're just like no it's cool."

"How long are you gonna play both sides?"