X. THE TIN MAN

* 

. * .    .  °  . ● ° . 
¸ .  ★ ° :. . • °  . * :. ☆

It was a splendid feeling to have the sun on her face once again but it was cut short when Lucy splashed Anna with salt water, her echoing laugher breaking the silence. Anna pealed her blue eyes open in shock and almost fell out of the longboat and into the water.

"Girls!" Edmund scolded as they both glanced as one another sheepishly, it was clear that the lack of sleep everyone had experienced the night prior was evident. Caspian who was seated in front of the two with Joe as they worked together with Edmund and another crew member who had never introduced himself to Anna rowed the boat all chuckled slightly.

Before Anna could say anything back to Edmund, Reepicheep's longboat sailed past theirs, "I doubt the Lord's stopped here my liege," Reepicheep confessed to Caspian.

Although Anna could see where Reepicheep was coming from as the Island looked nothing but a clump of rock and volcanic smoke, she knew that they couldn't give up hope, at least not yet when they were so close.

Caspian continued rowing his oar in sync with the others as he called out, "Right once we get to shore take your men and search for food and water. The four of us will search for clues!"

"Hang on!" Eustace called from behind Edmund, "Don't you mean the five of us?"

Everyone within the longboat paused (they had even stopped rowing the boat) and turned to send looks of disbelief at such a question in Eustace's direction had given him his answer.

No.

"Come on please," He pleaded like a child, although he technically was, "Don't send me back to the rat!"

"I heard that!" Reepicheep called from a little ways away on his on longboat full of the crew.

"Big ears," Eustace mumbled under his breath with a huff.

"I heard that too!" Reepicheep called back.

Chuckles rang around the longboats and Anna and Caspian shared an amused look before the were at the shoreline.

────────── ♡︎ ──────────

Anna's boots dug into the dry crumbled stones as she raced with Lucy and Edmund to keep up with Caspian who bounded ahead of them.

"Look!" Caspian called, "We're not the first ones on this island!"

"The Lords!" Edmund suggested.

"Could be," Caspian admitted although his voice wavered with doubt.

Anna peered down the hole and glanced to the aged rope, "I do not shy away from adventure but I don't know if that would be safe."