Hidden Witch

Chapter Seven: Hidden Witch

“This has to be the most boring town I’ve ever seen.” I said looking at yet another sweet bread stand.

“Oh, grow up,” Luna said shoving me in the shoulder. She really was getting the hang of this boy charade. “It’s just a sweet bread stand, this town is famous for them.”

“Well, then Pane should really open up a book shop about making the sweetbread. At least then there would be something to read.”

Luna rolled her eyes. “I’m sure we’ll find a bookshop Gabriel.”

I felt a small thrill at the sound of her saying my name. Swallowing, I said, “We’ll it better be soon. I’m afraid that if I see another sweetbread stand, I’m going to commit violent actions on its owner.”

“Maybe they have a record of stores at the City Hall,” said Luna, “It’s worth a shot.”

“Finally, some place we can go where we won't see sweetbread," I said and grabbed her sleeve, pulling her in the direction I knew the Hall was in. "To City Hall!”

“Um, Gabriel?” she said.

“Yeah?”

“Boys don’t grab other boy’s shirts," she quoted.

“Oh, sorry.” I said releasing her sleeve.

She laughed, “That’s fine, I don’t mind. But like you said: Other people do.” 

We were almost at the City Hall. It looked like all other Halls that we’d seen so far: big, built with grey stone, and a blemish on the landscape. As we walked up the steps, I kept a lookout for people lurking about in robes. Seeing none, I followed Luna into the Hall of Records where all the townspeople kept records. In the past Hall of Records that we’d visited people kept records of everything from birth dates of their children to annual pig sales. This Hall of Records looked just as big. We traveled down the endless rows of paper records searching in vain for anything regarding on witches. “Where do we even search?” I asked Luna, who at this point was all the way across the room.

“I’ll start at ‘W’. You can look under ‘M’ for magic,” she said already starting to pull out the drawer.

We’d been searching for over an hour and had sifted through several drawers when Luna finally spoke. “That’s weird…” she said.

“What did you find?” I asked heading over toward her.

“I didn’t find anything,” she said.

“How is that weird?” I said, “We haven’t found anything at the other towns either.”

“No, you don’t understand,” she said holding up a stack of papers she’d been sorting through, “I didn’t find anything.”

“Huh?”

“I went back to look at the records of the special moon that mark the birth of a witch,” she said, “and when I found the year and the month it should’ve occurred, there wasn’t anything.”

“Maybe they just didn’t write it down.” I said.

“Impossible,” she said, “They’ve recorded every month and every full moon for the past two hundred years. How could’ve the month with this special moon not been recorded?”

“So you’re saying---.”

“The record has been removed, yes.”

I sat down next to her on the floor. “Why would it be removed?” I asked suspecting the answer.