Chapter 5

I wake up in the day after the reaping with the sunrise. I barely slept last night; I was getting nightmares about Katniss dying and I kept waking up. Buttercup was the only thing that could console me. I'm glad Katniss didn't drown my beautiful baby.

I need to go to school today. I need to face all of my friends, and their pity, and all the attention from people who don't even know me. I know it will be okay, but I'm just nervous.

The opening ceremonies are tonight, and Katniss will be dressed for the occasion. That should be okay, because Katniss never ever gets dressed up and I would like to see her all prettied up for once.

I pull myself out of Mother's arms and slide onto the floor, curling into a ball and then stretching myself out until I feel ready to stand.

When I do get up, I pull off my hand-me-down pyjamas from Katniss and get into some clean underwear. After that, I pull on a pale pink shirt and a dark skirt and tights. I pull my hair out of its plait and brush it, before braiding it down my back in Katniss' signature style. I wear my hair like this to remember her, to preserve a small piece of her.

By the time I am ready, Mother is up. She has been crying, you can see that in her eyes, but I know she is holding up for me. I knew she would. She goes to the kitchen and heats something up. It's the fish and vegetable stew from last night that we didn't eat. It's delicious, despite being a day old, and I eat it hungrily, as I ate hardly anything last night. After I eat a bowl, I am still hungry, so I eat some of the strawberries that Katniss brought home yesterday.

Was it really only yesterday? I think to myself. Was it really only yesterday that I was reaped and Katniss volunteered to go to her death? It was. It was really only yesterday.

Without a word of warning, I run to Mother and hug her tightly, not wanting to let go. She hugs me back, gently stroking my hair with one hand.

"I love you," she murmurs, still stroking my hair.

We stay like this for a while, until there is a knock on the door. I go and open it, and Sally is standing there.

"Do you want to walk to school together?" she asks.

I accept, and run to brush my teeth. I splash some water on my face, and come back to the door. I slide my feet into my black leather boots, pull in my coat, and hug Mother again. Then, I walk out of the door and wave, shutting it behind me.

"How are you?" Sally asks.

"I'm okay, but I'm a bit nervous for the opening ceremonies," I reply. "It's going to be amazing to see Katniss all dressed up, but I also have to see all of her competitors."

"I understand."

She really does understand. Her older brother, Saul, was reaped when he was thirteen. He was killed in the bloodbath by Johanna Mason, the Victor. I comforted her then, and she's comforting me now.

"If you feel uncomfortable at school, just let me know and I'll look after you okay?"

"Thank you so much."

As we round the corner, I see the school. People are crowding around the entrance, waiting for it to open, but as soon as people see me, they come over. I don't want the attention. I don't want everyone's pity.

Someone in my class, an annoying girl called Cleo, comes over and gives me a dramatic hug, knowing that I won't want it. Sally glares at her until she lets go. I'm so lucky to have Sally as my friend.

I walk into school as the gates open. Just before I reach the classroom, my teacher, Miss Rose, pulls me aside. Sally frowns at me before she walks into the classroom.

Once everyone has deserted the corridors, Miss Rose begins to speak.

"I know this is hard for you, Primrose. I know what you're going through. My younger brother was reaped a few years ago, and he didn't come back. So if you need anything, just say the word and I'll do my best to help. Okay?"

I nod, so she reaches out her arms and gives me a hug. I'm twelve, so maybe a bit old for this, but I don't care. Miss Rose will take care of me while Katniss is gone. We pull away, and I smooth down my hair and clothes, and walk into the classroom, towards all the pitying stares.

Everything will be okay, Prim. Just wait until the opening ceremonies. It will all be fine.

***

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. I put a lot of work into it, especially as I can't refer to the book for this part. By the way, Prim, you are never too old for a hug. Thank you for taking the time to read my fanfiction. I'll try and post again soon.

~I-LOVE-BOOKS-1234