oo. the facade of an angel

───── ⋆⋅☾✯☽⋅⋆ ─────
PROLOGUE
the facade of an angel
───── ⋆⋅☾✯☽⋅⋆ ─────

"EVANGELINE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING RIGHT NOW? EVANGELINE!"

Angelisa struggled haplessly against the firm restraint of her capturer, watching with wide, shimmering blue eyes, filled with tears as she watched her father be pushed to the ground, overcome by the horde of imperial soldiers.

"Stand back, who are you to address Crown Princess Evangeline so disrespectfully!" the soldier holding her spat resentfully into Angelisa's ear. "You are nothing compared to our princess!"

"Stand down, Sir Dolan," Evangeline said in what seemed like a kindly tone, lightly touching Angelisa's hair. "It's alright! My poor sister must be in shock knowing the truth of father's cruelty, but it must be done! Angelisa, please do calm down! You haven't had such a hard life, but father made me undergo tortuous events that I can't bear to think of! You must understand, dearest sister, of my tragedy. Your disbelief and grief is understandable, because I fully sympathize with you! Angelisa, he has committed treason against my fiancee's family! Please... I beg of you to understand me... please!"

Angelisa's breath came out ragged, and she stared at the ground, shaking her head as crystal tears pour down her face. How could she had been so foolish? Why had she turned a blind eye towards this horrible person? Perhaps she had been left, captivated like the rest of Evangeline's victims, but now that her true nature came to light, Angelisa hated herself.

This was all her fault. If only she hadn't believed Evangeline, none of this would be happening. Every charismatic word that left that woman's mouth was filled with deceit, and only then did Angelisa realize that the girl she had considered an angel was not that, but a demon.

Her father was Duke Eurvean, the head of the prestigious, highly esteemed Bellaudour family. He had always treated her coldly, but that was perhaps a fault on Angelisa's end, she could admit. She supposed she was always so busy and having fun at parties or chasing after Prince Satian, the third prince that she was engaged to. Angelisa had been deeply in love the prince, and had tried to gain his favor without overdoing it, but even so, he never truly loved her back, as he treated her simply like a friend.

So when Evangeline, beautiful and kind had arrived, she had treated Angelisa's father in a deceitfully kind way, therefore earning his affection and devotion. The beginning of the Bellaudour's downfall. He had treated her with tender kindness, having tea with her every afternoon, doing thing with Evangeline that most fathers do with their daughters, while Angelisa's watched from the side, longing. 

Evangeline was truly a devious and cunning young woman.

And that had only backfired upon them...

"Duke Eurvean Bellaudour had been abusing from from the moment he took me in! He threatened my life more than once! Execute him! He is a traitor to the Imperial Family! He's conspiring against us! Kill him!"

Evangeline Carsela, the fiancée of the third prince, murdered the man who had kindly took her in when she had become an orphan, who had loved her more than his own daughter, Angelisa, who had treated Evangeline the way he should have treated Angelisa. He had loved her with all his heart, only to have it pierced by the sword of the Imperial Family, the kind, loving face beheaded in an execution.

And that's when Angelisa realized, this was the true Evangeline.

How easily falsehoods and deceit slipped off the woman's tongue, how betrayal and trust meant nothing to her, how she would do anything to become the Empire's Most Beautiful and Envied Woman. How she had killed the man that Angelisa wished loved her, the man who had loved Evangeline like his own child, abandoning Angelisa for Evangeline's sweet lies.

And then, before she knew it, Angelisa's life spiraled downwards even further.

"Angelisa Bellaudour! She's the daughter of the Duke. Your highness, she tried to poison me! I-I didn't know. And my most treasured maid had found it just in time... oh what should I do? I always loved her like a sister, I don't believe it! I think she was jealous that you love me and not her... I guess that's my fault, I'm a terrible person aren't I? I cant believe she wants me dead."

It was absolutely astonishing how easily Evangeline lied, and even more of how easily people believed her. And Angelisa knew she had once been one of those people, but not anymore.

Being in prison was simply to remind her of Evangeline's two-faced side, her true, malevolent, power-hungry self. And when Evangeline killed Angelisa with her very own hands, as Angelisa took her last breath, she spoke one last time.

I wish I never trusted Evangeline Carsela. I wish I could go back in time and take everything she took from me back. I wish I could repay her betrayal twentyfold. I wish she would experience everything I went through and regret her existence.

And unlike in the fairytales, Angelisa did not hear angels singing as she rose towards the heavens, but the pure silence of the celestial beings, a golden glow blinding her vision... then she felt no more.

And then, Angelisa Bellaudour's existence was left with no more but a mere name, briefly mentioned in the history books.