xix. loveless relationship

·゜゜·  ·゜゜·.

.·゜゜·  ·゜゜·.

REINA'S POV

"You can still back out," I mumble as my fingers flick through the rack of dresses. Matthew trails behind me, a suit bag draped over his arm. He looks up from the dress he was examining when I speak, eyebrows raised in question. "I don't want you to go because of Dylan's whole speech he gave."

A smile tugs at lips. "I volunteered myself before his speech." I bite the inside of my cheek, that is true. I continue walking down the aisle, none of the dresses catching my eye. "I have a question, though."

"Shoot," I mutter, plucking a dress out of the rack and grimacing at the pattern on it. Cheetah print gown, definitely not.

"Why are we going to your ex's wedding anyway?" I pause, turning to face him with a frown. "I just think it's weird that you're even giving him the time of day, let alone attending his wedding."

I cross my arms over my chest. "He invited me."

Matthew's brows furrow. "Ever heard of saying no?" His words make me flinch, and he instantly notices. "Sorry...but he cheated on you. You shouldn't feel embarrassed about declining his invitation."

"Why do you always feel like you have to defend my honor?" I blurt out before I could think it through. I instantly regret the words the moment they leave my lips, and Matthew's face falls. He's doing me a favor here, why do I always have to ruin things by acting like a total bitch about it? 

He brushes past me without a word, turning into an aisle where the dresses are far more extravagant than the ones I was looking at. Now I'm the one following behind, nearly tripping over my own feet in my haste to catch up with him. I finally catch up when he's at the taller racks with the gowns, then I grab his shoulder, and pull him back to face me.

"I'm sorry," I rush out, and he stares at me with a blank expression. "I just...I don't know. I want to prove to him that he didn't break me. Showing up to his wedding felt like the right opportunity to do that."

Matthew's brows furrow. "Did he?" I stare at him in confusion. "Break you. Did he?" I feel my heart drop to my stomach at his question. He must have seen it in my face that I didn't take to that question too well because he was draping the suit in his arms over the nearby rack, and pulling me into an embrace. I sink into his arms easily, my eyes fluttering shut as I let out a heavy exhale. "You need to stop pretending," he tells me.

"I know," I sigh, and it's true. "I can't help it."

My eyes open as my head is tilted back, Matthew's hands cupping my cheeks. "I know," he murmurs.

"Am I pathetic?" I mutter hopelessly. It's the only thing I've been feeling lately, so it must be true.

Matthew shakes his head. "You're not." The smallest smile tugs at my lips. "You just need a little extra care, nothing wrong with that."