Chapter 26

Betty's POV

After a horrifying few days, I was finally back in Jugheads arms. I know it hadn't been long but it felt like years. Now I was just scared I would lose him again.

We were hugging at the table in silence for a while until FP walked in with bruises all over his face. Jug stood up to let FP know what table we were at, I kept a hold of his hand not wanting him to walk away. FP came over, sat down opposite us and Jug sat back down. "Hal is being held in a holding cell now, you don't have to worry. How are you doing Betty?" He asked taking off his jacket. "Am I going to need to go to court with him?" I asked, ignoring FP's question. Mine was more important right now.

"It's not going to be a hard one to convince to the judge, but yes. You will be in a stand with a lawyer and someone else, Hal will be on the other side of the court room with his lawyer and someone he wants there. I will be up the front with the judge, seen as I'm the sheriff and I was on scene. If all goes well he will be facing at least twenty years." He said and I looked at Jug for support and he squeezed my hand he was holding.

"The most important thing right now is that we have you back and you're safe." Jug said quietly and I smiled sadly. "What is going to happen about my legal guardian? I can't go back into foster care." I said panicking about what would happen if FP couldn't sort that out.

"I think under your circumstances, child services will make an exception until I sort it out." FP said trying to calm me down a little. "Betts you're shaking." Jug whispered looking in my eyes. I then finally took notice of my shivering body. "I think we should head home." Jug said looking at FP. "Okay, lets go." He said and we all stood up.

"Here take this in the meantime." Jug said pulling off his hoodie and helping me put it on over of my t-shirt. "Thank you." I whispered and we held hands again as we walked out. We all got in FP's car, me in the middle seat and Jug next to me. We began to drive home and Jug wrapped his arm around me and rested my head on him.

Being next to him not only warmed me up, it also made me feel safe and less scared of what could come out of the darkness of the night.

Jughead's POV

After only around ten minutes of driving, Betty was sound asleep. She mustn't have got much sleep over the last couple days because even after the terrible things that just happened to her, she could still fall in an unconscious state. I gently kissed the top of her head and slightly smiled at the thought of having her back in my arms, where she was safe, where she didn't have to worry.

Finally, after around two hours, we were back in Riverdale and pulling up in our small driveway outside our house. I gently stroked her arm to wake her up, knowing I wouldn't be able to carry her inside without waking her up. She slowly opened her tired eyes and lifted her head. "We're home now Betty." I said and she gently nodded.

I opened the car door and I could feel a big gust of cold air come in the car. I got out and saw my dad walking in the house. I held Betty's hand and helped her out. After I shut the door, I saw some Goulies walking in our direction from across the street. I put my arm around Betty and made her walk a little faster, yet still trying to keep her calm because the last thing she needed was some Goulies coming after her.

"Hey Princess." One of them yelled from behind us, whilst the other whistled at her. "Come on, lets get inside." I said to her quietly while she looked behind and saw them coming closer and closer to us. "No need to be worried blondie, we just want your boyfriend not you." The taller one shouted. "Maybe she will be our easiest way to get to him though." The other said loudly, making Betty hold onto me closer.

"Dad!" I shouted as they began running towards us. "That's right call for daddy." They said and we finally reached the door. I quickly fiddled with the door handle until I got it open. I rushed Betty inside and I went in after her. I slammed the door shut just as the Goulies got really close to us. I looked out the window and saw them walking away laughing.

Suddenly, Betty lunged into my arms and started crying. I wrapped my arms tight around her and gently stroked her back. My dad quickly came from the kitchen, probably from hearing all the noise, and he went outside but the Goulies had gone by the time he got there. He came back in and looked at me and I shook my head, telling him that Betty didn't need him right now.

After she calmed down a little, we sat down on the couch and she rested her head on my shoulder, with my arm around her. She had her arms held tightly around me and had her eyes closed but wasn't sleeping. "Are you okay?" I asked quietly and she slowly opened her eyes. Not saying anything, she shrugged her shoulders.

"I know you're scared but I'm not going anywhere." I whispered and kissed the top of her head for reassurance. She still didn't say anything. "What are you thinking?" I asked wanting her to put her thought into words.

"First my dad kidnaps me and tells me that he was saving me from a terrible life. Then your dad says I will have to face him again in court. And then, to top it all off, those Goulies chased us inside saying that I would be the best way to get to you." She said and sat up a little so she could talk to me face to face. "I don't want to go though that again." She said as a tear slowly trickled down her cheek.

"And you won't. Trust me when I say you'll never have to see them again." I said and I could tell she was unsure. "Do you trust me?" I asked wanting her to know I'll keep my word. She slowly nodded and lay her head back down.

"You don't have to tell me right now, but what did Hal do to you in there?" I asked hoping I could understand what exactly happened. "He let me into the house and told me why he fostered me. A couple minutes later the postman rung the doorbell, he tied me to the fridge and put duck tape over my mouth so I couldn't scream. When he came back he took me to the garage and tied me to that chair. I told him that I should call Mr Wetherbee and called you." She said not moving.

"A couple hours later, he came down drunk with a beer bottle. He was talking about how he favours Polly and how Riverdale is a town of sins. I tried to say something but my mouth was still taped shut. He smashed the bottle and held the remains of the glass against my neck." She said, lifting her head and pulling down my hoodie a little to show me the scar he had left on her.

I gently moved my fingers along the broken piece of skin and sighed. "Then you came so you know the rest." She said and I stroked her hair. "I'm sorry we didn't come sooner, I'm sorry we even let this happen." I said felling bad that I didn't think something was up the second they took her away.

"It's not your fault Juggie." She said and I had to say it, I had to let her know how I felt. I had to say it before something happened and I couldn't...