4th Street(Part4)

Corey & Lorenzo continued walking along the sidewalk towards Corey's house. Lorenzo lived on the next few blocks after Corey's house.

Lorenzo: It's too early for all'lis bullshit bruh. I shoulda handled that like my brother would have.

"Man don't even trip off them fools...you did the smart thing." Corey mentioned while snacking on a tropical bag of skittles.

Lorenzo: I know but...(stops, faces Corey while placing both his hands on Corey's shoulder) Listen to me bro. If we had our own clique, we'd be able to shut Chris & his whole squad of cheerleaders down. Me, you, & some other thugs....think about it!

Corey: Yea but we ain't no thugs Renz! Especially you! You got a full scholarship to school & everything. Don't mess that up. One mo year and I'ma be right behind you.

Lorenzo: Yea well I need to protect myself. Or I won't be goin no where but to my grave. Chris hated my brother so of course he hates me!

Corey: Nah Chris is just jealous of you man. Everybody is!

Lorenzo: Even you?

Corey: Who me? Jealous?? Tuh! Of a dude with pro hands and good looks too? Hardly.

Lorenzo chuckles.

Corey: And what'chu talkin bout Renz? Gettin a gun?

Lorenzo: My brother warned me. He said I would run into Chris'nem..said they would mess wit me...maybe even try to kill me.

Corey: Lorenz c'mon man do u -

Lorenzo: Look Corey I know you want me to be the good ole church guy like you, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Corey and Lorenzo continue to walk down the blocks of Louisa Ave. Young children are out in the Fall weather enjoying a day of after school Friday fun. Every day, kids are jumping rope, riding their bikes, playing football, playing Cool-Can, Jacks, Hop-Scotch, Hand Games, Man on the Run, Mother May I, Hide & Seek, Red Light Green Light, Basketball with a Crate, or some crazy talk show. The sun shines on the face of the mailman who tuned out the world as he listened to his music and ran his route. The breeze blows mildly through the fur of the cat that sits lazily on the porch with sleepy eyes. The kids pause their activity and step aside as a 1999 Cadillac DeVille rides through the fucked up neighborhood streets of New Orleans. The kids, all of diverse minorities but common backgrounds, resume to playing in the October days of the early 2000s. Corey ignores the empty bag of skittles that was taken by the wind when he tried to throw it into a nearby trash can.

Corey & Lorenzo walk up to Corey's house. Corey could hear his mama's voice from outside, laughing and carrying on. Lorenzo closed his flip phone after reading a text message.

Lorenzo: Aye I gotta go do sumn right quick. You think u can meet me somewhere later? 'Round 3 or 4.

Corey looks down, and then back up at Lorenzo.

Listen Renz, I never told you but...I keep having these dreams about you getting killed. I had one the other night. I have dreams all the time but I never even remember'em. But these..I remember'em clear as day dude.

Lorenzo chuckles. "You worry too much lil bro. Don't girl down, Man up!"

Corey got upset as Lorenzo sprinted off. He hated when Renz told him to man up. He storms into his house, mumbling angry words.

"Boy what the hell wrong wit'chu?"
Corey's mom Kristi yells while sitting down in the living room on the phone. Corey had come inside slamming the grocery bag of bread & tuna cans on the living room table & was headed to his room when she asked. "Comin in here like u ain't got no damn sense. What happened?"
"Nothin!"
"Well somethin musta happened the way u came in here! Where my change and my receipt at??"
"It's in the bag." Corey responded while continuing to walk to his room, slamming the door.
"Ma lemme call you back cause ya grandson done let his cheese slip off his cracker. Around here slamming doors and shit."

Kristi continues ranting on the phone.

Corey locked his door and took off his slippers before lying in his bed. The back of his head rested on his pillow while his knees were propped up, pointed towards the ceiling. He laid there with his phone in his hands. Bored, Corey fell asleep to the noise his mom made in the other room as she talked about him on the phone.

LATER...Night Time.

Corey was awaken from his nap by a strong and abrupt knock on the window to his room.

"Corey! Aye yo Corey get up bro!"
Corey slowly sat up in the bed. He turned his legs to where his feet are now touching the floor, but he's still sitting down.

"Corey c'mon man I'm being chased!! Hurry up!!"

Corey quickly jumps out of the bed after hearing several gun shots go off. Lorenzo's level of panic terrifies him as he helps him inside the window to his room and immediately locks it and closes the curtain.

Corey: What the hell? Wha - what's going on?

Lorenzo sits in the chair, heavily breathing as Corey stands before him with many questions.

Lorenzo: Corey, relax! Are your parents home??

Corey: No they went to church...something for adults only.

Lorenzo exhales. "Good."

Corey: Bro, what the FUCK is going on??

Lorenzo: Nun man..jus every day crap. Niggas out there shooting for no dam reason. I was tryna get somewhere safe.

Corey sits on the edge of his bed, and talks to Lorenzo who is sitting across from him.

Corey: But'chu said somebody was chasing you. Where they at?

Lorenzo: I don't know who it was. I was just walking over here and like 4 dudes started walking behind me.

Corey: Well what if they come here?

Lorenzo: Don't worry. I ran a different way and I lost'em. And plus I got this. (Lorenzo pulls out a gun from his waist)

Corey's eyes widen in shock. "Where you get that from??"

Lorenzo: From somebody who I know gon have my back the way my brother would if something goes down. Yea, he woulda been too ready.

Corey: What'chu tryna say? I ain't got'cho back??

Lorenzo: Well do you? If I need you to pull the trigger, would you pull it??

Corey didn't respond. He wondered himself. Could he take another life to save his best friend's life? Does he have the heart? Surely the world needs Lorenzo more than it needs him. After all, Lorenzo's the All-Star, the College Prospect, Football's answer and savior. Corey wondered if he was jealous of his best friend, his big bro...or did he just want to be just like him...somebody so important that people actually want to kill him.