Chapter 1: Plans

People were out and about during the busy holiday season at the mall. There was so much chatter and laughter that rang out. Shop windows were decorated with brilliant flashing lights. Few people wearing Santa hats wishing each other a merry Christmas. Everyone had a smile on their face sharing their plans for that year. There was so much to look forward to.

The few floors of the mall were crowded with people going up and down the escalators. There were even lines to go into the elevators. In the middle of the mall was a round black marble fountain that was spouting water from the middle out of a tree statue. There were the branches where the water flowed out onto the coin littered bottom.

"Hope! Come on!" A teenager with soft brown skin called out to her friend waving. She was dressed in black jeans and a black hoodie. Her dark hair was tied into a ponytail in the back that bobbed in the air as she waved. The other teenage girl was rather cautious walking towards her friend. "Hurry up already, slowpoke!"

The girl named Hope shook her head with a faint smile. She was wearing a light blue sweater with snowflakes on it and light blue jeans. Her hair was long brown and went to her mid back. She held onto her small light grey bag that was on her shoulder.

Hope saw her friend go sit by the fountain and she looked up at the water coming from the branches. Eve is always in a hurry, Hope thought walking to the fountain to sit beside Eve. Though it was for a good reason. Hope saw a large clock on one of the pillars that ran across the floors. It read five before nine. Melanie would be here at nine, Hope reminded herself.

And she would be late only if hell froze over.

The dark haired girl was going through her pockets and grabbed a few coins. They plopped into the water when she threw them high in the air. A bit of water splashed at Hope which she didn't mind. She wiped it from her cheek with her sleeve.

Laughter echoed behind her. Hope turned her head to see there was a group of teenagers around their age sitting on the few steps that led up from the fountain area. One of them was leaning against the silver railing. Instantly recognizing the teenager as Hunter, she was in her grade and was one of the more popular students. Her heart instantly began to beat faster seeing him.

She felt her face get warm.

Everyone in her grade for the most part had a crush on Hunter. He was athletic and good looking. Also so smart, Hope noted. Hunter's light brown hair was often messy. Today was no exception. His blue eyes were brilliant and she could get lost in them forever.

Hope felt a slight poke on her side. She turned around to see that Eve had been watching her. She quickly looked away knowing her face was red. Though before that, Hope had noticed that Eve had a strange expression on her face that she couldn't explain.

"They don't care about people like us. Only if you are popular, you aren't ever going to be in their inner circle." Eve sneered at them glaring.

The brown haired girl knew this to be true. They were always busy with their other popular friends, she could only watch them from the distance. Though, she didn't mind. Hope always had Eve to hang out with. That was fine with her.

"I know, it's just that it looks like they are having fun." Hope finally mumbled out. Eve was barely able to hear her with all the noise that people were making.

Eve got up and dusted her behind. She looked at the clock.

"Soon we'll be having fun if Melanie catches us late." Eve helped Hope up from the edge of the fountain. "Come on, I'll race you!"

Before Hope was able to say anything to Eve, the dark haired girl was off already stepping the few stairs. There came another round of laughter from Hunter's group. Hesitating to turn her head, Hope did it anyways and saw Hunter's friends get up and leave towards a restaurant.