Chapter 20: The Shopkeeper

Knowledge was surprised to find himself and Susi under the starry skies. They had just left somewhere it had just been afternoon. It had been snowing but it was still brighter than where the two stood now. He hadn't been used to traveling across the world like so. The most he was used to was a change in weather.

The places where they had traveled to the past few days, Susi didn't have any luck. The guardian hoped that this place would help them somehow. He didn't like the fact how long he had been away from the Shadowlight Court. Knowledge knew that he could count on Forgo and the others. In his heart, Knowledge wished to go back. Though, it wouldn't be any good to just sit back and let the world take its own path.

They were behind a shop from the looks of it in the back which was fenced in. The small backyard was made out of brick. Knowledge noticed that there was a large shed which was locked. An alleyway was between the buildings. Next to the entrance of the alleyway, a large dumpster was located. So far it didn't seem like much of a promise, Knowledge thought to himself gloomily.

"I hope it's not too late, I always forget about the time differences." Susi finally said as she was headed towards the back door. It was off a few feet from the ground. The two of them went up the wooden steps that had metallic railings on both of the sides.

The brown werewolf walked up to the door. She gave the glass door a few knocks. Straight away, the two heard noises coming from inside towards them.

Seconds later, an older man with short grey hair emerged from the front of the shop towards the back. His hair went down to his ears. The older man's face was scruffy looking while he had thick sideburns. He was wearing a dark blue button up shirt along with black slacks. His blue-grey eyes squinted at the two werewolves standing outside. Knowledge was surprised that this man could see as his bushy eyebrows nearly covered his eyes.

The man shook his head as he unlocked the door for the two of them. When the door opened up, Knowledge was able to see the room a lot better than just through the glass of the door. It was lit by a single hanging lamp in the middle of the room. Shelves surrounded the small room against the wall. In the middle there were more shelves that were covered with random objects. Knowledge wasn't sure what most of them were but he noticed there were some necklaces and small statues. Most of the pieces were covered with a firm layer of dust. The whole room smelled dusty and that it hadn't been cleaned for months.

"Of all the hours! You decide to pick the one where I'm closing shop currently! Doesn't matter, I just served my last customer ten minutes ago. Come in, come in! The two of you shall be my last customers of the night. I'm assuming that's why you popped in." The man wheezed as he stepped away from the doorway. It allowed there to be enough room for the two werewolves to enter the smaller room the man had in the back. Knowledge shut the door behind him.

"I assure you that it wasn't my intention. I'm glad to have made it on time though, Klaus. I would have felt guilty if you would have been asleep already." Susi bowed her head towards the old man. Knowledge looked down at the man, he was just under five feet. Both of the werewolves towered over him. It didn't seem to bother him one bit.

Klaus gave a hearty laugh. He waved his hand at Susi.

"Oho! That would have just cost extra! It's not everyday a deity and a guardian approaches my shop out of the blue like this. I might have forgiven you though, Susi, my dear! Here, allow me to close my curtains up front so we can talk business in there. It's more roomy for the both of you." With that, Klaus hurried back through the doorway which he had entered the smaller room. The guardian eyed the different trinkets that cluttered the shelves. Nothing seemed to pop out at him. The two stood around for a minute or so before they heard Klaus pipe up from the front. "Safe to come out! Come on into my shop!"