The Awkward Cuddle

We began trudging along in the snow, our breathes visible in the frigid air. 

"W-where are we going?" I stammered, rubbing my arms.

"I've been here before," he said. "There should be a cabin near here."

Easy for him to say. He was wearing pants, a long sleeved shirt, and gloves. I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

We began walking, me moving my arms back in forth to try to keep them warm. 

"I-I'm going t-to get hy-hyperthermia," I said.

Sky rolled his eyes, muttered an ancient phrase, and kept walking. I suddenly realized how much warmer I felt.

"What are you doing?" I asked, catching up to him.

"It's a fire spell," he said, pointing up. "It creates fire."

I glanced up and saw a small ball of fire floating directly above us. 

"Well, thanks," I said, grateful for his magic.

"I won't be able to keep it up forever," he said. "I have my limits as well."

"Do you think you'll be able to keep it up long enough to get to the cabin?" I asked. 

He pressed his lips together and thought for a moment. "Probably not. But we should be okay to make it after I stop using the fire spell."

We continued walking, and finally we plodded up and over a hill. Sky stopped us and pointed towards a small, hazy thing in the distance.

"That's it," he said. "I can probably keep the fire up until halfway."

We jogged down the hill and began walking towards the cabin. A little after halfway, the fire sputtered out and the temperature plunged. I shivered and wrapped my arms around myself.

"Sorry," Sky gasped. "I could hardly hold it..."

"I-it's fine," I stuttered. "I-I should be f-f-fine..."

But I could tell by my stuttering I might not be.

When we were 3 quarters away, I found myself feeling warm again.

"Are you making the fire spell again?" I asked, glancing over at Sky.

"Oh no, you're starting to get it," he muttered. "It's hyperthermia, keep trying to keep yourself warm."

I suddenly shuttered and stumbled, the snow and the sky starting to swirl together.

"You are not passing out," Sky ordered, grabbing my arm. "C'mon."

His touch was so surprising, I forgot all about the cold and kept walking. Eventually, we made it to the cabin, where Sky opened the door for me and I walked in.

It felt like a sauna in there.

"Ahh, it's so warm..." I moaned, closing my eyes.

"I wouldn't celebrate yet," he said, grabbing my hand and lifting it. I stared in shock at my blue fingers.

"You don't have it, but it almost got to you," he said, pulling me over to the fireplace. 

He muttered the same phrase from earlier and lit the wood in the fire. I sat down next to it and put my hands close to it.

"Thank you," I said. 

"That was close," he said, sitting down next to me.

I pointed at his gloves. "What about you? Did you get it?"