What Is This Feeling?

Sky's POV

Although I was still tired and exhausted from using all that magic a couple days ago, I was done sleeping.

I hated sleep sometimes. It gave me the worst nightmares.

And because of that, I was staring at the food in front of me, afraid to eat it because I thought I would get punished for doing so.

"Hey, are you okay?" Brook asked me, looking concerned. 

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine," I lied, sitting down. "Just a bit tired..."

She opened some containers and asked me what I wanted. I chose some things out and kept glancing over my shoulder, expecting my stepdad to come out with his belt in his hand. 

"Why do you keep looking over there?" Brook asked me, standing with her back facing me as she  microwaved my food.

"I don't know," I said, looking again. 

"Is someone here?" She asked.

I flinched when I heard the microwave start beeping, then Brook took my food out and placed it in front of me. 

I moved my gaze from my food, to the fork next to it, then to the hallway that led upstairs.

"You know, you aren't gonna get hurt for eating it," Brook said flatly.

It was like she read my mind.

I pressed my fingers to my temple. "I know, it's just the nightmares I've been having..."

She jumped up and sat down on the counter, swinging her legs. "Nightmares suck," she replied. "But you should start eating before it gets cold."

I sighed, picked up my fork, and began eating. I only finished about half my food. I wasn't very hungry.

I never was.

Brook put the rest of my food in the fridge for later, then asked if I was going back to sleep.

"I think I've slept too much," I said, rubbing my eyes. "I feel like I'm going to go into a coma if I sleep any longer..."

She laughed a little as I stared at the counter. I remembered back when we got captured and I couldn't remember anything. I had told Brook that she had looked beautiful, didn't I?

"Are you sure you're okay? You're acting kinda weird," Brook stated, pausing to look at me.

"I don't know," I said truthfully. "I feel weird."

"In what way?"

"I'm honestly not sure. I haven't felt like this before..."

I glanced up at her. Her eyebrows were furrowed and she was biting the inside of her cheek. 

"So you're feeling something you've never felt before," she repeated.

"Yeah, it's like-" 

I stopped in the middle of my sentence, suddenly forgetting what I was going to say. That was strange. I've never forgotten what I was going to say before.

"It's like..." Brook prompted, her hands wheeling in circles as if trying to tell me to say something.

But what was I going to say? My mind was blank. 

"It's like... uh..." I struggled to remember what I was going to say. 

"It's like what?" She asked. "Happy? Sad? Excited?"

She listed off a list of feelings that I've obviously felt before, except for the last one.

"...Love?"