Chapter 13

Merida woke up by the sound of the birds chirping. The fire died down and the sun was almost up. She looked on the other side of the fire, but didn't see Hiccup just like yesterday. "Exactly what time does this man wake up?" Merida thought. Beside her, she spotted a fish cooked for her and an apple.

She stood to see Hiccup's bare back faced toward her. Her cheeks flushed. His shirt and his pair of boots were resting on the rock. Merida grabbed her apple and stared at it. She bites the apple, making a crunching sound. Hiccup turned to see the young lady munching a mouthful of apple. Merida swallowed, still too shy to glance at him.

"You're awake!" He exclaimed.

"I think so?" Merida laughed and Hiccup did too. It started to get really awkward. But it wasn't because of Hiccup. It was because of her. She felt awkward. She had never been alone with a man, taking a bath.

Merida turned her gaze back to her apple before grabbing the fish served for her. She took a bite. Of course it was bland, but it was enough to satisfy her growling stomach.

"Don't you want to take a little swim?" He asked as if he was allowed to. Merida cleared her throat, her face growing redder and redder as she was formulating a sentence that could save her from this conversation.

Merida gave Hiccup a smile. "A-after you." She said.

"Good timing. I just finished." He said before emerging from the water.

Merida looked at the fish and ate a bit. "Go on." Hiccup said. "The lake is yours."

She walked over to the lake while Hiccup got dressed. She was hesitating. She barely know him. But she realized that she looked really filthy and she smelled like dirt and sun. Merida looked at the water, removing her shoes. She dipped her feet in the water and a sudden cold travelled up her body. It was so cool that all she wanted was to swim.

When she finally decided that taking a quick bath wouldn't hurt, she looked over at Hiccup who was resting inside the cave. Merida removed her dress, revealing a white tube and white skirt that she wore inside. She jumped into the water and it felt really cold, but it was refreshing. Hiccup turned to see Merida soaking wet.

"The water is not that cold isn't it?" Hiccup called out..

"It is." She said and laughed. Merida submerged herself into the lake and emerged after a while. As soon as she opened her eyes, Hiccup was now inside the lake with her. She yelled by surprise to see the boy chuckling.

If her mother found out that she undressed herself with a boy present, she would kill her. It was inappropriate. "What are you doing here?" She yelled. "You said I have the lake for myself!"

"I thought it would be nice to have another bath." Hiccup answered, splashing Merida with water.

Merida frowned and she breathed heavily. "I will drown you!" She yelled and began swimming towards him. Hiccup for a second, thought that she was joking. But she could see the fury in her eyes. He panicked and began scrambling towards the grass. But Merida was fast. She grabbed him by the neck from behind and pulled him in. Merida's hand slipped and Hiccup was out from her grip. He then pulled her foot, and the next thing she knew, Merida's head was also submerged in the water.

When Merida swam back up, Hiccup was laughing. "How dare you disrupt my bath?" Merida growled before splashing Hiccup with force. Hiccup choked. Merida snorted.

"Oh no, you didn't." Hiccup said warningly before splashing Merida back.

Merida did not let herself lose. She splashed him even more forcefully as she went closer towards him so that she could hit him with water even harder. Hiccup was doing the same and they were laughing. Their laughs echoed around the cliff. When Hiccup's arm was getting tired, he caught Merida's wrist. They were closer now. She was smiling and so was he. They were staring on each other's eyes and for a moment, they stayed like that. Hiccup was still holding her wrist, their hands in front of them.

Hiccup was drawn in to her eyes. Her smile was slowly fading, but her eyes twinkled. She stared back at him.

"Hiccup." Merida said.

"Yes?" Hiccup asked.

SMACK!

Hiccup held his arm, moaning in pain. "What was that for?" He exclaimed. The moment was cut and he was back in his senses. He touched his arm that Merida slapped so hard, a red welt the shape of her hand was marked on it.

But Merida did not answer him. Instead, she swam away until her feet touched the grass. Hiccup followed behind, still wincing and complaining.

Merida laid on the grass and sighed. She smiled.

"You seem to enjoy the fact that you have been hitting me for the last few days!" Hiccup complained.

"Served you right for locking me in that cell." Merida said.

"Hey! I thought we've talked about that already!" Hiccup exclaimed.

"We did." Merida laughed.

Hiccup shook his head, disbelieving that this princess would be so annoying. But after that, he smiled.

"What are you smiling about?" Merida asked.

He shook his head again, his smile unfading. But then, his face dropped. His eyebrows furrowed and he looked a little intensely at Merida. "Do you think I should take you back to Dunbroch?" Hiccup asked.

"Like I've said, I don't think your dra-" Merida said but was cut off by Hiccup.

"I know. That's why we'll be stealthy. I'll leave a note for my father." He said.

Merida hesitated for a moment. But she knew Hiccup was right. If her father set sail for Berk, there will be war. She did not want that for her people and for Hiccup's because she knows the truth. They know the truth. This is exactly what Lord Macintosh wants. War.

"Very well, then." Merida answered with a nod.

-------
Author's Note: Just wanna share that I am trying to plot a fantasy novel so I can join NaNoWriMo this November. I've always dreamed to have a book that I wrote be published. But I know it will take a loooong time. Still, I have all the right to try and dream.

Also, I got a few of my midterm grades and so far, I got 3 A's, a B+, and a B. I'm very unsatisfied with my Anaphy grade buuut I'm cool. Iz okay.

I HOPE Y'ALL LIKE THIS CHAPTER!!!