Chapter Five

Skylar’s P.O.V

I pinched the bridge of my nose trying to remember where I had heard this name before. Amber…Amber…Amber? As much as I tried, it just wouldn’t click. Something seemed off about this girl and I had to find out.

So I picked up my phone and dialled the number of the one person I knew who was an expert in hacking computers.

“Hey Simon, you still in school? Great, meet me in the computer lab. Alright see you”.

Simon Richards, my backhand man.

Though I knew I could get anyone to do this for me, and they would gladly do it, I called Simon for old time’s sake.

Simon had been best friends with Nate and I since childhood. We were inseparable until we entered high school, where we were split apart for our differences.

Simon had always been a nerd, and that wasn’t a problem for me nor was it for Nate, but Simon did not want to get involved with the popular clique after the incident that almost got him expelled.

It was the middle of freshmen year, around mid terms. We had just finished writing our exams. Nate and I were sure we had failed English.

We had asked Simon if he could hack into the school’s computer and change our marks, and surprisingly he had agreed.

Seeking our opportunity, we entered the teacher’s lounge, and finally as the last teacher walked out switching off the light, we barged into Mr. Salvic’s office.

Simon was about to hack in, but a group of teachers assistances caught us in our scandal, coming to retrieve their belongings.

We had made the excuse that we were only in the room to see Mr. Salvic, which saved us from a massive load of crap, but Simon had made it pretty clear that day that he no longer wanted to get dragged into any of our scheme.

I respected his choice and didn’t bother him after that, though I still called him up occasionally to have a beer with Nate and I, just not in the public’s view. It was kept a secret between us three.

No one other than us knew that we were friends, and that’s the way Simon wanted to keep it.

Our society thinks I wouldn’t be caught dead with a nerd, but little do they know. Guess the saying is right, there’s more than what meets the eye.

As I waited for Simon to appear I put my feet up onto the computer table, leaning back into the comfortable leather chair.

My attention diverted to the corner of the room. An empty packet of Skittles lay on floor beside the trash can.

My jaw muscles tightened and I looked at my reflection in the window confused to find that a smile had subconsciously crept onto my face. I never thought in my life that a little kid could actually bring me such joy.

The innocence in him just makes me wanted to be around him, and for a minute I actually forget the shit that’s actually going on in my life.

I went to see Jeremy again at lunch today and I brought him a jumbo family size pack of Skittles that I bought especially for him from a convenience store.

He attacked me in a bear hug the minute he saw me, making me stumble backwards and fall into the classroom’s sandbox. I could still feel the sand in my pockets.

Sometimes I feel that Jeremy is like a little brother to me, and I want him to see me as an older brother.

I know that he probably has other siblings at home, but I hope that I would be the one he comes to with girl problems and school crap.