Chapter 4

"Um... he's at the bar right now, and i don't think he will be back until midnight." The man's eyes widen. "He left a child alone. I'll be right back," he said as he left. I raised an eyebrow. How old does he think I am? I can take care of myself.

     I look back over to the woman. "Umm... did my father do anything wrong?" She looked at me and sighed. "I'm Officer and that man that left was Officer Julian, my brother. And, yes he did do something wrong." She looked towards the door then back at me. "I'll explain when they come back, in the meantime, there are some things I need to give you."

     We both sat on the couch. "Lindsey left everything she had to you. But seeing as how you are underage, we will have to hold onto it until you reach the age of 18. But, there is this." I followed along to what she was saying. It seemed fair enough.

     She reaches behind the couch and pulls out a huge black book bag. And... was it me or was she struggling to lift it up?

     She handed to me and I was surprised to see it felt so light. Before I could open it, Officer Julian walked in with my Dad in handcuffs.

     "I told you already! I paid the dang bills!" My dad yelled. Officer Jane stood up, "Rick Stem. You are under arrest for child neglect and the murder of Stephanie Stem." I gasped, Stephanie was Lindsey's Mom.

     His eyes widen, "I didn't kill her, she got into a crash!" I clench my fists. He told Lindsey and I she ran away like my Mom!

     "Tell her...uh... Daisy! Tell her she died in a crash!" he pleaded. I kept my mouth shut while they stared at me. "Daisy! Tell the-" "You said she ran away! So why should I tell them she died in a stupid car crash!"

     He seemed surprised by my sudden outburst. Then his eyes filled with rage. "Fine! I admit it! I killed my damn wife! She was a cheater! She deserved to die!" I blocked him out and shut my eyes.

     I only think of three words.

     "I hate you."

     No one hears what I say. Officer Julian is taking my dad outside while he was still yelling horrible things about Stephanie.

    Officer Jane walked over to me. She stared at me. "Rosetta, I'm sorry you had to hear that. Don't worry, by confessing what he did, you won't have to see him anymore. Come on, let's gather your things."

     I already knew why I had to get my things. With no one else to take care of me, I'll be taken to an orphanage. I walked over to my tiny room that I used to share with Lindsey.

     Lindsey kept a suitcase underneath my bed. I pulled it out and placed my stuff in. It wasn't hard to fit everything, I don't have a lot of clothes and we could never get a camera to take any pictures. I always told Lindsey never to get me anything I don't need, but she only disobeyed me once. She got me a small black book and a quill and ink. It might seem weird, but she knew I loved how they wrote with this back then.

     After I gathered all my things, Officer Jane lead me outside to her cop car. The drive was quiet and when we got to the orphanage my stomach started to churn.

     I sighed and placed my hand on the sliver handle.