Chapter 3

The Iron maiden.

Morgan kept repeating the name in her head as she walked back to the exit of the building from the sealed underground vault chambers. This time with a small but strong black metal briefcase that she held firmly in her right hand.

No outsiders were ever allowed there, the top floor and the underground chambers had the strongest security system in the headquarters.

However, on her second visit, Fury had let Morgan enter both of those areas. She wondered if he wanted to express his trust by doing that, though it was unlikely of him to do so . It couldn't be gratitude. Although Morgan had told Fury that he 'owed' her, it was just a minor problem she had saved them from.

That had turned out to be more of a trouble for her than it was for them.

--------*--------*-------

Morgan had been keeping a watch on the S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters for a very long time. She needed some information that could lead her inside, or at least something to help her contact Fury. She had no contact with anyone associated with the agency and her mother, ofcourse, would not hear a word about it.

It was during one of those stupid spying days she'd noticed a woman, hiding herself in the vast, dense forest that stretched from the Southern side of the headquarters. The woman, dressed in black clothes to blend with the shadows, would step out into the clearing once in a while, as if she were dreamwalking, and then suddenly recollect herself and retreat back into the forest.

She was not within the view of the security, only Morgan had noticed her. After all, both of them had been hiding.

Even after five days, the woman was still there.

This had roused Morgan's suspicions. She was not concerned about protecting the secrecy of the agency, but she was concerned about something that was inside the highly secured building. Something that, according to her father, should belong to her only. She did not want even a minor threat to its protection.

She could not talk to her mom about this as she wanted to avoid the question : "What were you doing there, Morgan?"

So Peter was Morgan's only option, he would be a bit less suspicious about her intentions, Morgan had hoped. Besides Pepper, he was the only one she knew to have had direct contact with Fury.

Still, she framed her story in the least conspicuous way, as if it was simply an irrelevant incident for her. And she had another plan which, if it worked, could fetch her Fury's contact.

While she and Peter were having their normal, happy chit-chat one evening, sitting on her bed, snacks and sci-fi comics scattered all around them, Morgan began narrating her carefully framed story.

But she'd stopped abruptly after just mentioning the woman, dismissing the topic with a casual wave of her hand.

"Leave it, it's not that serious though."

Peter tried to hide his concern, but she could see the crease forming between his brows. After a while he asked her to continue her story anyway, even if it was unimportant.

Her plan was working.

She acted like she did not want to talk about it. Peter started insisting, with clear urgency in his tone.

"Fine then," Morgan had said. "I understand that you want to inform them about this mystery-woman, although I am sure they're in no danger from her."

"Still, I should let them know Morgan," Peter said. "So tell me, what did you see there? What was the woman doing? And how'd she look like?"

"If you want to know it so badly..." Morgan began slowly, being careful not to push it too far . "Well, if you are gonna inform them , then why can't I do the same?"