Chapter 15 | 1997

"Hurry up, Maeve!" Pansy scolded, forging a path through the wide-eyed first-year students who looked rather lost

Maeve exhaled sharps through her nose. After two whole months holed up with her cousin, her nerves had frayed and her patience had worn thin. She rolled her sore neck from one side to the other, before following her cousin.

Her eyes caught on a familiar blonde head when she idly glanced into a compartment and her steps stuttered to a stop. Anthony was sitting in a car with Ginny Weasley and Neville Longbottom.

"Excuse me," a dreamy voice said from beside her. Maeve turned to face none other than Luna Lovegood. She offered Maeve a winning smile, "oh, hiya Maeve."

Maeve stepped aside for Luna as the Ravenclaw stepped past her into the car. The three pairs of eyes looked up at Luna's entrance.

"Maeve," Anthony's smile was pained.

"Anthony."

Maeve didn't bother with more of a greeting. The suspicious gazes of the Junior Golden Trio were enough to send her away feeling more than a little uncomfortable. She forgot sometimes that Anthony was friends with a slew of students, including Potter's friends, as well as hers. She didn't know how he walked the line so easily.

Maeve didn't bother looking for a compartment, she just headed to the dining car and stowed her trunk. She slumped down across from a haggard-looking Daphne. She was pale and her blonde hair lacked its usual brilliant sheen.

"Are you ill?" Maeve questioned with a frown.

"Something like that," Daphne grumbled, patting at her hair self-consciously, "why, do I look awful?"

"Not at all."

A lie.

"God, Greengrass, you look awful," Theo slid into the seat beside her and poked a finger at her sallow cheek, "did you die and come back over summer break?"

Daphne slapped his hand away, "piss off, Nott. I'm not in the mood."

Theo bit his lip to hold in a laugh before he let out a dramatic, "ooh."

The train lurched forward, the rhythmic chugging beginning. The whistle sounded and Maeve felt relieved.

Back to school. Back to some semblance of normal.

"Did you hear?" Theo pulled a Daily Prophet from his rucksack and slapped it on the table.

"New Headmaster for Hogwarts ... " Maeve murmured under her breath as she read. She paused, blinked, and reread the last line, "Severus Snape Confirmed?"

Daphne's eyebrows shot up, "I thought he was the Defence Against teacher now? Who's going to teach that? And who's going to be head of house?"

"Position's cursed," Maeve let her head fall to her crossed arms on the table, "every year a new teacher. They either die, or end up horribly disfigured."