Chapter 26 | 1998

"Selwyn, Maeve," Amycus Carrow's voice was cold but his face as delighted as it was when there was the option to torture children

"Selwyn, Maeve," Amycus Carrow's voice was cold but his face as delighted as it was when there was the option to torture children. It had been a week since Alecto had found some poor student to subject to her brother, but the time had come.

Ever since the whole business had started, Maeve had been going over what she would do when her name was called, but everything felt so very real. She'd had moments where she fancied herself a hero, refusing to perform as others had, but the thought of the torture she'd face kept them from being more than utter fantasy.

On wobbling knees, she stood and walked slowly to the front of the class. The look on Amycus' face was enough to send her stomach revolting against her. She turned her gaze lower to avoid his malicious smile, but she just met Anthony's disappointed blue eyes as she passed his seat in the front row. She felt nothing but shame.

Daphne looked bored and Theo looked almost pitiful, but aside from that, there was no admonishment on her friends' faces like there had been on Anthony's. It made it worse. Pansy wasn't in Dark Arts, but Blaise sat next to Draco with a mildly interested smirk dancing across his lips. Draco's face was blank. He hadn't tried to talk to her since she'd spit the most hurtful words she could think of at him. She almost felt bad about it.

All thoughts fled her mind when the sharp knock sounded on the door and it was thrown open. Alecto Carrow was leading none other than Neville Longbottom himself through the desks. Maeve hadn't even noticed his absence from class, and the next thing she knew he was spouting blasphemies against the Dark Lord as he was manhandled towards her.

Maeve had never wished anything but mild embarrassment on her peer, and she was being asked to torture him in front of an entire class.

Neville was thrown to the floor in front of her. He scrambled to his feet and faced her as if they were about to engage in a physical brawl. His face was hard, but his eyes betrayed his memory of the pain he'd endured at the hand of Amycus.

Before she could overthink things or allow herself to stew in guilt and shame, Maeve pointed her wand at Neville. Her words were clear and without stutter despite her toiling emotions as she spoke, "crucio."

There was no flashing light or whizzing sound. Nevill simply flew a metre backward before falling onto the floor in a tangle. He was on his feet and surging forward before Maeve could even process what had happened.

Alecto hit him with a spell that entrapped him with black ropes and instinctively Maeve took a small step forward. She quickly stumbled backwards after realizing her mistake. She wanted the Carrow's to have no reason at all to think she required punishment as well.

She turned her head and sought out Anthony's face. He just looked shocked. There was no anger or emotion at all.

A hand clapped on her shoulder and Amycus shook her a little roughly, "a wonderful first attempt! Class is dismissed."