Chapter 36 | 1998

The Entrance Hall was in utter chaos

The Entrance Hall was in utter chaos. Professor Trelawney was lobbing great big crystal balls at enormous spiders that straggled around the room, tramping over everything in their path. Flitwick was surrounded by a ring of five Snatchers, firing spells in every direction, spinning round and round as he fended for his life. There were crumbling knight statues that jabbed stone swords at a grouping of haggard men led by Fenrir Greyback, who must have been werewolves.

Anthony sprinted into the fray, expertly dodging spells and blocking curses, reaching a panting Micheal Corner just as his friend almost got hit by a flying curse, instead blocking it. Maeve took a deep breath, and followed his lead. She dodged through the mayhem, throwing up her hands to send Acromantula's flying against stone walls. One unlucky spider creature was sent directly into a stone knight, spitting itself on the knight's weapon.

Micheal and Anthony were facing a masked Death Eater that threw spells so fast the two of them struggled to keep up with two against one. The two were so focused on the task, that a sparking curse thrown wide was coming straight for their backs.

Swearing in three languages, Maeve slid her back to Anthony's and threw up her hands. Her mind was screaming with rage. She wanted nothing more than to be able to craft spells with her wand, but instead, she had the all raw power and none of the control.

Silver light shone from her hands, flashing brightly as it absorbed the curse.

"Maybe not," Maeve said to herself out of pure shock.

A Snatcher that had just sent a dark-skinned man flying against the stone wall turned, his beady eyes narrowing as he caught sight of her and her empty hands. He pointed his oddly bent wand in her direction, his mouth moving as he uttered a curse she had no chance of hearing over the chaos.

"Protego!" She screamed, and again the shining light burst from her hands, stronger this time.

The Snatcher stared at her in shock. Maeve couldn't help but smirk at the raggedly dressed man. She let her hands move in ways she'd never before considered, uttering curses from Defence Against the Dark Arts that she'd never thought she'd use offensively in the hallowed halls of Hogwarts.

Flexing her fingers, black ribbons appeared from thin air, wrapping the Snatcher up until he was entirely covered, resembling a mummy squirming on the floor.

Turning to face the Death Eater Micheal and Anthony fought relentlessly, she threw up her hands to shield the three of them just as the two Ravenclaw boys fired red light from their wands. The Death Eater went flying and didn't stand up.

Micheal spun to face her. To his credit, he didn't react more than his eyes widening impossibly huge, before the three of them were again engaged in fighting.

"Taste your future, animals!" Trelawney screeched, lobbing another large crystal ball. It nailed Fenrir Greyback directly in the back of the head and he sank to a heap on the ground.