Chapter 27 | 1998

"Merlin," Daphne groaned as she slumped roughly into a sturdy wooden chair, "what's this?"

"Veritaserum," Theo and Maeve chorused.

"But," Maeve took a careful look at her friends, "why doesn't Slughorn have it?"

"Oh, he let me keep it," Theo said with a placating wave of his hand, "we were just deciding whether we should take it, or use it on someone else."

"I want no part in this," Pansy said, crossing her arms. She glared at her boyfriend with angry brown eyes, but Blaise didn't flinch. He smirked and poked her nose in a way one could describe as either affectionate or condescending. Maybe both.

"I am not interested," Daphne sniffed delicately, "why would I want to know anything about you lot?"

"Exactly," Theo said with a wide sweep of his arms, "what could possibly go wrong?"

Maeve stared at him feeling a growing sense of dread, "quite a few — "

Theo poured a few drops into his hand and licked them off, before handing the phial off to Goyle who followed suit.

"Mon Dieu," Maeve stared at the boys as they willingly partook, "that's disgusting, what you just did."

Pansy glanced at Daphne, then Blaise, then she joined them.

"Come on, Maeve," Pansy pushed, "it'll be fun."

Maeve doubted it would be anything but a bother. Only, with four pairs of eyes trained on her, she took hold of the cool glass phial and inspected it. There was a small amount left, enough for two doses, she wagered.

"Oh, fine," Daphne took the phial from her hand and threw back half of the remaining liquid.

"Come on," Goyle grinned at her, "are you scared?"

She didn't know what possessed her, but Maeve snatched the potion from Daphne and drank the rest.

"I don't feel anything," Theo mused, before turning to Blaise, "ask me anything."

"Do you find Weaslette pretty?" Blaise asked, his lips turning up at the sides.

"Yes," Theo responded automatically, before slapping a hand over her mouth and staring at the rest of the table with wide eyes.

Pansy sniggered, "Blaise, do you find her pretty?"

Blaise managed to look partially aloof, "in some ways," he answered, before adding, "but, yes."

"Wow," Daphne snorted, "truly the juiciest of secrets. I could admit Ginny Weasley is pretty enough without the help of a potion."

"You want us to spill secrets?" Theo asked, the wicked gleam Maeve hadn't seen reflect in his eyes in a long time appearing. It made her uneasy. He opened his mouth to innocently question, "why have you been skipping classes and meals and spending all your time holed up in your dorm, hmm? Are you lunar-ly disinclined?"